2018 Convention suggestions? Spinning reels.

Get the latest on this year's upcoming convention or read about last year's
arley
Advanced Board Poster

2018 Convention suggestions? Spinning reels.

Post by arley »

Good am. I am hosting the spinning reel section at this years convention. Has anyone any ideas about what I/we should focus on? What do you want to see or do? I want to be interactive so Let Me Know your ideas. Post your ideas on this thread so we can have a discussion, but pm's or emails will also work. I Hope to put faces to the names on the board.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Convention suggestions? Spinning reels.

Post by Mike N »

Arley- I think a discussion of the first ultra light (small) spinning reels might be interesting along with the types of rods that were used. I am also a fan of Garcia Mitchell’s 330 automatic spring-loaded bail since I bought one in high school around 1974 and still have not seen one that is any better.

Thanks. See you in Harpers Ferry.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Dick Braun,that-zebco-guy
Super Board Poster

Post by Dick Braun,that-zebco-guy »

A display of the 3 different types a full bail, half bail and the no bail conversion. Maybe other odd spinning reels that came to market. Ben's books would be a good guide.
That-Zebco-Guy the one who collects the bullet proof closed face reels. Joined ORCA Oct. 2003, Past VP. Need to ask a question: call me 1-941-639-8330 home, 941-661-7187 cell, EST.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Any interest in comparing front to rear drags on spinning reels? I've never actually gotten in far enough to learn how the rear-end drag works.
Sid Lehr
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

Keep those ideas coming. Mr Midway Tommy you know more about spinning reels than I ever will. Have you any ideas? This can be fun.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Here's a few thoughts.

It would probably be a fairly time consuming preparation process, & somewhat dependent on examples you have or can obtain, but I always thought a presentation starting with Illingworth's 1905 No.1 threadline, and on to the UK & Western European evolution of fixed spool spinning reels, to Bache Brown's introduction of them to the US market, how WW II stalled production and expansion, how far behind the curve the US was in design, manufacturing and use, how the return of Servicemen from WW II brought a new wave of fishing reels & techniques to the US and how post war manufacturing has brought spinning reels to the forefront of the industry. Basically an in depth history of the evolution of the spinning reel, open & closed face. I've always found it interesting, while US reel makers made quality conventional style casting type reels, how far behind we were in adopting the spin fishing idea.

A look at Capano and Pons and how they made design improvements for multiple French reel makers and later incorporated many of them into the CAP & Mitchell line could be an interesting presentation.

The various Italian reel makers and their histories would be an interesting discussion, as would the many German and Swiss manufactures. Any one of them could be a presentation all its own.

Examples of importers of the European, and maybe even Japanese, made reels, and the rebranding of some of them.

Discussions of later day big name makers like Shakespeare, Penn, Langley/Zebco, ABU, etc. would be fine but I think the earlier history that has brought us to where we are today is very important.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

What Mr.Midway said. The mind boggles .
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

I think I will bring a few unusual Euro and American spinning reels to the spinning reel table.
Somebody else , step up to the plate now kind readers, should bring say Penns, Mitchell, etc.
always listening for your ideas.
we'll have a nice chat. Did I hear that there is an open bar for happy hour?