ORCA Convention 2018 -Who's in?

Get the latest on this year's upcoming convention or read about last year's
arley
Advanced Board Poster

ORCA Convention 2018 -Who's in?

Post by arley »

Might be useful to get a running list of who is attending and their interests.
I will go first- Oddball and European spinning reels.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Re: ORCA Convention -Who's in?

Post by Richard Lodge »

I'm in. Bringing along about a dozen or so reels and maybe a fly rod to sell and I'm wondering if anyone wants to split the cost (and land area :roll: ) of a table. I can't carry enough stuff on the plane to fill a table at the show without getting the prize for most pathetic group of reels for sale. Anyone want to share?
tnx. Richard
:bricks:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I paid for a table, Richard...you are welcome to share with me as I have the same issue of how much I can bring along. However, I will ship back a flat rate box of goodies if I can figure out which of my babies to part with! Will watch here for suggestions!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thank you, John. I would be most appreciative and will split both the cost and relieve you of any of your unwanted reels.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I will be going to the convention and I look forward to meeting everyone. I won't find anything like this unless I ask, so here goes: I am looking to add vintage Canadian made and marked reels to my collection. What the heck are those, you ask? The list of known makers is here: http://www.orcaonline.org/canadian-reel-makers/.

I am also aware of reels patented in Canada by others that I have never seen, so there are probably more oldies out there like the Grignon Icthyphone that I just wrote about in TRN. Otherwise I am into the oldest reels I can find, e.g. early British brass.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The ORCA convention is looking to be a big one. The host hotel (Clarion) is completely filled and we exceeded our held block. The spillover hotel is Quality Inn, less than a mile away. The phone number is 520-979-3321. They still have 20 rooms available, ranging in cost from $102 to $119 night. Book quickly! Staying at the spillover, you can still participate in all events occurring at the host hotel, including setting up and participating in the group "room trading" in the ballroom. If you have questions, please call David Lehmann at 281-757-5054.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

I will bring around 100 reels (spinning, casting, fly, etc.), a lot of lures in the boxes, and a dozen or so rods (cane and nice fiberglass). I like pre-1900 reels and just ones that draw me in (meaning, my collection has some focus, but not a whole lot!). I look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

I am also bringing my 40 year collection of paper ephemera - fishing related catalogs, brochures, owners manuals , box inserts, schematics, books & fishing related stuff. If you want or collect some particular company or product, LMK and if I have it I will try to bring it.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

I will be getting in on Tuesday afternoon. Will be bringing a number of reels and stuff. Don't forget stuff for the Silent Auction. I have a number of items already donated.

Roger
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Roger- I’ve had my hotel reservations for months, but just mailed you my registration and table check last week.

Can you give us any tentative paid pre-registration numbers as of today? Thanks.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Mike

As of right now, 32 members. 22 sale tables and 9 display tables. Should be getting some more the next two weeks and those who turn up at the show without pre-registration.

Roger
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

That’s super, Roger. Thanks,

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I will be coming in late Tuesday evening. I am flying, so just bringing a few interesting things. I have a JVH B-Ocean #2 if anyone is interested.

I am looking for any Louisville-made saltwater (#6 or bigger) reel.

I am also looking for a couple of nice rod handles, like the Featherlight ones. I sold out when the prices were high from Japan, and now I need them (I guess we should NEVER sell anything). If anyone has one, I would appreciate knowing.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I should be there Thursday. I’m driving so I’ll be bringing a small table top case of a dozen or so Meek Horton and other tournament casting reels, a Meek catalog, some Meek silver, silk tournament line on wooden spools, an early Orvis first model and a unique fourth model fly reel, an ice fishing box and whatever other unusual items in my collection that I’m willing to trade.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

This may not fit Matt's search request but I if I can get it on the plane next week I am planning to bring it for the auction- less reel (and maybe fish with first just once LOL). It is a one piece, 5 1/2', split-cane casting rod that I made a few weeks ago with a wooden reel seat/trigger. (Obviously not qualified for the fishing or casting contests even if it looks the part ;) )

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Sweet!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Sid Lehr is looking for a ride to Harpers Ferry from BWI around 2:30 pm on Wednesday. Please contact him if you can assist.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I am using SuperShuttle from BWI (aka ExecuCar if not shared). Also recommend Lyft or Uber. There is also an Amtrak to Harpers Ferry, but I couldn't figure out the schedule for me.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

I'll be landing in DC around 10:30 pm Wednesday but that is probably a little late for anyone that needs a ride...but if anyone needs a ride back Sunday let me know.
I would like any unusual pflueger casting reels!
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Paul M wrote:Sid Lehr is looking for a ride to Harpers Ferry from BWI around 2:30 pm on Wednesday. Please contact him if you can assist.
Thanks, Paul. It looks like I'll be riding an Uber from BWI to Harpers Ferry. My plane gets in 2:30, I'm happy to share a ride with anyone arriving around that time. I looked into the shuttles, no luck. Got an Amtrak ticket back on Saturday morning from Harpers Ferry to BWI.
Sid Lehr
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Sid, man I’ll come get you if you need a ride, BWI is only 30mins from my house. Sent you a PM with my cell number.
-Chris R.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Very nice. Thank you!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Paul M wrote:Very nice. Thank you!
Chris is da man! I'm grateful. Thanks Chris.
Sid Lehr
Kevin McJunkin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kevin McJunkin »

I just reserved a room in the overflow hotel. My wife Fran and I will be arriving Thursday afternoon. Sorry, Roger, I didn't send in my reservation ahead of time, but I will be bringing lots of reels to the "reel trading saloon" so I will need a table and my wife and I are planning to attend the banquet. Looking forward to it!

Kevin