Oldest ORCAn?

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Reeltyme

Re: Oldest ORCAn?

Post by Reeltyme »

Let me understand the situation. Someone shows a picture of a magnificent trophy buck that they shot (yes, some people hunt, some fish, some play golf or watch football games where monster men that are majorly overpaid, yet can’t spell their own name, beat the heck out of each other) but someone gets offended while they munch on their steak, so they complain and the photos are removed. I would say, don’t look at the pictures. Go to the next post. Again, dead fish - dead deer? Wait, fish don’t have feelings and deer do. Now I understand! Please!!! Do NOT show a picture of a gun! It might make someone upset!
Reeltyme
Randy McConnell
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Sounds like I must have missed some excitement. :?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

oc1 wrote:In this day and age a really big deer is almost a farmed or ranched product. They do not happen by accident and require good habitat management/manipulation, good population control and harvest at just the right time. The same can be said for largemouth and trout. However, we're not so good at managing many types of marine fish yet, especially the pelagics. Sometimes I cringe seeing them killed.
-steve
Steve I have hunted Kansas early muzzel loader season for the last 17 years and there are some really big bucks out there for sure !! But where I hunt there are no high fences and no management other than the Kansas parks and wildlife rules which only allow one buck per person and in the section I hunt one doe per person. So they do control the bag limit. Other sections have higher deer populations and they do allow more antlerless permits. Having said that these aren't farmed or ranched deer !!! I hunt in huge farm country so deer are very healthy and well fed from the grain and corn fields but they are 100% wild deer not farmed or ranched !!!! John Taylor
PS we probably shouldn't disrupt this post any more but thanks for the support from some members !!!
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

John, that is an amazing buck and I was not trying to denigrate it or imply it came out of a pen. But living in among the corn fields and among farmers that have to control the deer population to survive as farmers is a pretty good example of habitat manipulation and population control. They say there are more deer in this country now than there were when Native Americans were running the show. But in many areas the natural predators are gone, hunters are becoming social outcasts, the deer are becoming suburban pests and they find a new deer disease every few years. Having a lot of deer makes it impossible to have big healthy deer.
-steve
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

One major thing the PETA people can't seem to get through their head is that, if not controlled through harvest, whether it's big game, upland birds, fur bearers, waterfowl or fish, Mother Nature will eventually find a way to control populations, and that type of control is a lot more gruesome than controlled and/or selective harvest.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

What was this original topic about? I've seen posts go sideways many times, but what the hell? Who's moderating around here?
Mark
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Just look way back at the beginning it's about the oldest ORCAN I am 61 . John Taylor
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

50s-ish with a very big dead fish in my Avatar :wink: I moderate around here along with a couple others. Willing to nominate anyone else who'd like to volunteer. We've had very little to actually moderate for a while now. We're all adults so didn't feel the need to delete, cut out or move around posts since I figured as long as we weren't calling each other names, we can have a civil discussion.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

No one in their right mind would want your job. You are doing just fine!
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Haha, thanks, Jon, but Elder deserves credit too :D
Now that I've said that above, I guess I'm obliged to say that if this gets out of hand, I will have to delete things so fast that it will make the spool on your (insert your favorite reel here) spin :lol:
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
g,h. block
Advanced Board Poster

Post by g,h. block »

I might be close competition for Bob and Phil on that, my dad was born in 1886, i was the young one in the family in july 1932.

gene
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chuck Gano »

66 years and counting, " i was so much older then i'm younger then that now"
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

At 79 I am younger than some of the guys.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

g,h. block wrote:I might be close competition for Bob and Phil on that, my dad was born in 1886, i was the young one in the family in july 1932.

gene
Gene, I've got you beat by 3 months.
If we concentrated on the really important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing tackle

Phil White
ORCA Honorary Life Member
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Ok-I was born 11/03/31, indeed the year the Star Spangled Banner was declared the National Anthem. Means Phil beat me by a few months. Check back with this post in ten years. I plan to still beat everybody but Phil!

Bad Bob