Book on Shimano Bantam reels?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Hales Vansen
Big ORCA Fan

Book on Shimano Bantam reels?

Post by Hales Vansen »

I recently aquired a couple of Shimano Bantam reels from the early 80s.

Therefore I am interested in learning more about them, so I wonder if anyone knows of a book on these reels and where to get it?

I’d also be interested in websites dedicated to the Shimano Bantam reels if any are out there (couldn’t find any on google)

Thanks in advance
Hales
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Re: Book on Shimano Bantam reels?

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Welcome Hales,
If you have an interest in these reels, you really need to find a copy of Shimano Bantams: The First 15 Years by ORCA member Phil White. You can read an old review here:
Book Review
I have a copy, but really don't want to part with mine. Also, there are several Shimano catalogs in the Harvey Garrison Library:
Library Link
Good luck with your research, and welcome to reel collecting!
Jim
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Hales Vansen
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Hales Vansen »

Thanks very much Jim

I will definitely search for this book, but I assume it could be a little difficult to locate.
One of the reels I got is stunning blue-gray Bantam 100EX in minty condition. I took out for a little casting. I was quite surprised to experience how well it casts.

/Hales
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

The book is still available. Just email me by using the Contact icon on the right toolbar. I will get back to you as soon as possible. I am heading to the hospital in about an hour to get a new hip. It may take a while, but as soon as I can I'll get back to you. You'll find lots of information on the Shimano Bantams in the book.

[This post was edited by the moderators to meet the published rules of Reel Talk. Please use the Contact icon to email any member of Reel Talk. It is there for ALL members to contact ANY member via email on this forum.]
If we concentrated on the really important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing tackle

Phil White
ORCA Honorary Life Member
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Good luck with the hip Mr. White. I enjoyed the Bantam book immensely and put it to good use.
-steve
Last edited by oc1 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubber Reel Lady
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Rubber Reel Lady »

The old hip joint is gone and the new one is in place in preparation for more small mouth fishing. :fished :fished
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Marilyn

How is Phil doing? Is he ready to go fishing? Don't let Fudge sleep on top of his leg tonight. Tell him that Carolyn and I are thinking about him and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Roger
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Well, modern medicine sure is something. I was released by the hospital in a little over 24 hours with very little pain involved. I can already walk better than before the operation and am feeling fine. Thanks to those of you who gave a hoot for this old geezers welfare. I've just got to figure out how to get next winter's firewood cut, split and stacked.
If we concentrated on the really important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing tackle

Phil White
ORCA Honorary Life Member
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

That's good news, Phil. Glad to hear you're all repaired and back in action.
ORCA Member
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Great news, Phil! And I believe Roger has booked a flight out next week to get that firewood split and stacked! It’s the least he can do to repay for all those bass
:D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Glad to hear things went well. Doctors have to earn their keep (and whoever in the world makes those artificial hip joints - they gotta be paid, too). Time to get out fishing, Phil!
Best to you and Marilyn.
Richard
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chuck Gano »

glad to hear your doing well geezer a good friend of mine had his hip replaced 2 yrs. ago and he rides his mountain bike almost every day now & is still out fishing me
Dan Basore
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Dan Basore »

You can still order the book from Phil White. As a field tester and development assistant on these reels I was able to supply Phil with information and their early catalogs. He was able to get permission from Shimano to copy them for his book.

I highly recommend you get a copy as Phil has the ability to make more as there is demand.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Phil: I always thought you were pretty "Hip" to begin with! Good luck and speedy recovery. The lunkers await!! Marion The "X" Librarian
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Hales Vansen wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:52 pm
... I took out for a little casting. I was quite surprised to experience how well it casts.

/Hales
Well, this is a rather old thread, but I can pipe in to attest to how well these reels cast, and fish. Not surprising really, since it's an essentially modern reel with free-spool and ball bearings. Mine's been a GoTo for me since I bought it new in ~1984. A little odd how other anglers call the reel "retro" and suggest I "upgrade". I have new reels too, but... I've never considered the place that little Bantam holds in my arsenal as needing "upgrading". Great reels.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Heal quickly Phil!
Hytekrednek
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Hytekrednek »

I have loved these little Bantams since granddad gave me one, his prized favorite reel. A Bantam 100 with the box, papers, and parts tube. I have fished with it some in the past, but I am planning to use it more in the future, it was meant to catch fish, so I will do my part and help it. To do this, I had to learn the reel good enough to not mess it up doing a complete disassemble clean and lube. It came out great but I did replace the drag disc. I bought a second for spare parts, but I couldnt help myself, I cleaned it and got it into usable condition too. I love these old reels. No, they are not as silky as my modern shimano Calias or antares dc reels, but they are by no means rough. A pleasure to use. I think of my awesome granddad every time I clean it, use it, or read up on them.
I also recenly inherited a Bantam Mag10XSG. It is very nice as well. I want to learn more about these. Like what is "super" about the SG super gear? What is its difference.
I badly want to find a copy of the book on these old gals. For now, I will read forums and articles on the net.
Hytekrednek
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Hytekrednek »

does anyone have current info on how to get a copy of this book, "History of Shimano Bantam Reels" title may not be 100% correct but it is close.
Hytekrednek
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Hytekrednek »

I am still looking and hoping to get a copy of this book. any leads? Thanks
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I think the book you are referring to is listed by Jim Schottenham in this thread
Shimano Bantams: The First 15 Years by ORCA honorary member Phil White
. I am assuming you have looked at this link on the Shimano website https://www.shimano.com/en/100th/histor ... cts/19.php. It lists the models and history of the Bantam products.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Hytekrednek
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Hytekrednek »

thank you. I pmd him. Hope I can get a copy somehow.