American Museum Fly Fishing 2018 article

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Mike N
Star Board Poster

American Museum Fly Fishing 2018 article

Post by Mike N »

Set the Vermont legal standard for what constituted a tax exempt, non-profit.

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/how ... d=18201503
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: American Museum Fly Fishing 2018 article

Post by Paul M »

That’s an impressive annual budget. I didn’t realize non-profits were also exempt from property taxes, at least in vermont. It must be nice for a little museum to own a million dollar property.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Paul M wrote:That’s an impressive annual budget. I didn’t realize non-profits were also exempt from property taxes, at least in vermont. It must be nice for a little museum to own a million dollar property.
Paul— Essentially, all 50 states exempt non-profits from real estate taxes. See link below. That’s why hospitals and universities which consume a lot of public services like fire and police can be a drag on local budgets. Note, however, that a museum exhibiting old fishing reels is very worthy, in my biased view lol.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/nonprof ... 61900.html
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

a museum exhibiting old fishing reels is very worthy
Couldn't agree more...However, in my humble opinion, defining "nonprofits" is a sick joke (like so much of corporate law). 27 CLASSIFICATIONS!? 501(C)(4,5,&6) shouldn't even exist, IMHO. 501(C)(7)?...another joke. 501(C)(13)!?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Goodwill Omaha nearly lost it's property tax exemption over this fiasco. Scroll it all the way to the bottom. And McGree says Goodwill still owes him $550,000 in back severance. :roll: IMHO, way too many non-profits are used as a front to create high salary positions.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Think we found a way to avoid taxes on Betty and Don's house in Frankfort, just need a few papers signed...

Seriously, it is interesting that 1000 members have a 750,000 annual budget. They are doing something right.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

IMHO, way too many non-profits are used as a front to create high salary positions.
Did someone mention university football coaches? :x
1000 members have a 750,000 annual budget
But...$1000 for a membership? I dunno how many pay that, but that would cover a lot of fly-fishing trips for the staff. And don't forget their auctions, dinners, etc. Just for the record, the estimated property tax in Manchester would require a massive budget increase of about 2.9%, though I agree the museum should remain tax-exempt.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

The tiered membership makes sense to me. I think that 90% of membership will be at the lowest tier, paying the annual dues. But the Life members and the sustaining members that can afford to contribute to their organization are doing a tremendous service to others. We may not be able to afford lobbying congress or changing any law, but we can contribute $100 to sustaining an organization we value. I know that Steve has contributed far more than most members (including me).

The tiered membership pays for items like the website technology updates that are hard to justify and spread among all members. ORCA expenses are very low in general, but the cost of publications and the digital updates we need to be competitive and communicate are not trivial, and hard to pay for with regular dues amounts.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle