Gilligan's Island fishing reel?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

Gilligan's Island fishing reel?

Post by john elder »

So, if the Professor made a forge and a lathe and Gilligan and Maryann combed up enough beer and Seven-up cans on the beach, I think this reel would probably be the reel they would have made! ORCAn Dan Zirilli scared this reel up from somewhere and sent to me for "restoration", but I think it falls more in the category of "resuscitation". It is the most home-made, home-made reel that I have run across, with super-rough aluminum parts. It looks to have been made by pouring molten aluminum into open molds, then shaping out in a "minimalist" fashion, to say the least. Check the pics of the side plates and you will see how rough the pour was and the interior isn't even finished out.

In spite of the crude construction, the reel works as intended! Gearing is 1:1 and ball bearings have been put in all pertinent locations; all the gears are locked in place with pins, rather than screws. A crude, but effective anti-reverse is on the back plate side, with an on/off switch on a screw that when thrown, holds the AR pawl away from the gear. shims have been added where needed to make the whole operation run surprisingly smooth. The spool was wrapped with about 300 ft of copper wire and was reinforced with numerous cross-members to ensure it doesn't collapse during use:

So, the urge is to put out the JB Weld and put some lipstick on this pig....but on second thought, it 'tis what it 'tis....and certainly one of a kind just as it is.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Gilligan's Island fishing reel?

Post by oldsaltnfla »

It looks like a reel that would be used for down riggers on a boat for trolling for salmon in the Great Lakes.
Joe
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Rustic, but imagine the amount of time that went into it! If you ask me, it's a masterpiece. There is nothing wrong with a home-made piece looking home-made.
-steve
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Oh my dear John, I believe you are truly missing the grandeur or this reel. Think about the maker. An under privileged individual that wanted or maybe needed to fish. Poor, possibly, can’t afford a “store bought” rod and reel,,, make/build one! Maybe not pretty, but totally functional! I find it a thing of beauty! Any man of means could purchase one of the beautiful production reels, some did the best they could with what they had. This is part of our history! Please John, treat her with the respect she deserves.
Reeltyme
Randy McConnell
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Er...sorry about the pig comment :oops: ...I agree it’s a relic that no doubt represents its history, for which background is sketchy....this bit of lore from Dan:

“So to add to it a bit - the original owner the legend was it came from Hawaii in the 1950s or so and was originally used for shark and tuna fishing then hung on a wall ever since. That’s all they knew ... my bud in New Zealand said it looks like a molum reel, but not exactly..”
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

To answer your original question, John, it looks like Gilligan used a Penn reel...

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

They cheated, Mike! That was on the three-hour tour boat!

Reel is clean, lubed, adjusted and back together and looks pretty good when in the company of friends!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Maybe one of George Stevens relatives made it LOL !! JT
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Way to go John! :lol: I knew there was a sleeping beauty under those shabby clothes! Now that’s what I’m talking about! Great job! Took her from little ole Mary Ann to a Ginger!
Reeltyme
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Another fantastic restoration, John!

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

Well done, John! Sometimes I wish our website had a Facebook "like" button for your wonderful restorations.
ORCA Member
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

FANTASTIC JOB JOHN! Love it! These big game oddball reels deserve the TLC and also of course if anybody knows more about it, please add to thread. Thanks Team Orca! Daniel z
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

What a transformation! It’s gone from something I wouldn’t have given a second glance at to something I can’t take my eyes off of!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Positive attitude helped! John’s appreciation for hand crafted reels of all kinds allowed its inner beauty to shine through. Thanks for the lesson!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

John,
I have a house full of unfinished or un-started projects. I think I'll take a drive down to your house.....tomorrow! Great job, as always. A lot of people don't know how to tap any talent they have. Obviously, that's not a problem with you.
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks for all the compliments, folks! Restoration has turned into a really fun hobby for me. I’m always happy to tear into something new...as long as it’s not just scraping congealed grease,I’m in!

I might add that the main thing you need for this kinda work is willingness to totally disregard the amount of time you spend on the projects...if you are trying to make a mortgage payment, this isn’t for you! :D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Once again John, I must ever so respectfully disagree with your final statement. I am quite sure, after doing some quick numbers, that I make close to $.50 an hour cleaning and repairing reels, and will soon be able to purchase that life long dream,, a nice little trailer down by the River! :bash:
Reeltyme
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

I'm with OC and Reeltyme on this. This is actually a really neat reel. Even if the casting is sorta crude, the precision fitting of ball bearings and so on is not. No matter who made it, it sure didn't happen by accident! Cool stuff!
Robert Janssen
Sweden
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

John, just found this thread and glad I did.

What a treat to see this reel. Appearances can be deceiving and the crudity conceals some really fine craftsmanship.

I'm guessing the builder didn't have a lot of resources available and built something useful with what he had to hand.

Thanks for posting it.
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

Thanks again John for helping me with this reel, and all the Orcans for their Fun responses. Im really enjoying this Oddball reel. If anyone has any other one-offs or oddball big game reels, feel free to post on this thread. cool to see what surfaces from the Deep. dz
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

I've decided to put this Beast Cradle for Sale or Trade link on Orca. Have a look when you can. Thanks for all your interested ! Daniel z
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

john elder wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:33 pm ...It is the most home-made, home-made reel that I have run across...\ \
:lol:
That description got me laughing! Great resuscitation though! And here I am sweating over a Langley click pawl. :)
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024