ORCA Online Library status update Dec 19, 2018

Check back here for all your latest ORCA news and announcements!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

ORCA Online Library status update Dec 19, 2018

Post by Paul M »

The ORCA Online Library is open for business while we are still "stocking the shelves". There are about 360 titles already available at this moment and that will grow over the weekend and through the coming months. It is a self-serve library for current ORCA members in good standing. The library downloads are free to ORCA Members who are paid up at the time they download and are made available for personal use only, with no resale permitted. If you need to JOIN, please do it now.

To browse the library and download files, you need to have an ORCA STORE ACCOUNT with ORCA current membership. When you buy or renew your ORCA membership online with PayPal through an ORCA Store Account, that account gets immediate access. If you are a member that set up your Store Account separately from joining or renewing, let us (me) know and we (I) can add your ORCA Membership status to facilitate access to the online library.

The library files are PDF files. Your computer probably already knows how to open them for you automatically if you just click on the file name/icon. If you need additional software to open PDF files Adobe Acrobat Reader, for example, is available online at no cost. This link will help you find a suitable version of Adobe Acrobat Reader compatible with your computer operating system.https://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/. Mobile device users can get what they need at whatever App store serves their device.

If you do download files, bear in mind most of the file sizes are very large. That means you want to download while using a fast and low cost internet connection, at least if you want to avoid data charges and slow downloads. There is a cost to ORCA when a user downloads the files so download once and store in on your computer instead of downloading the same file over and over again.

If you need any assistance, please let me know and thanks for bearing with us while we build up this great benefit of paid ORCA Membership.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: ORCA Online Library status update Dec 19, 2018

Post by Brian F. »

That's pretty awesome, Paul. Thank you!
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

I took advantage of this feature yesterday - and have to say it is just awesome to have instant access to the files and catalogs in the ORCA Library. Kudos to Paul and everyone that worked to make this happen.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Let’s also acknowledge the efforts of Matt Lollman who came up with the software and loaded more than 330 items to get it started.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Thank you too, Matt - great work!
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Note that all of the downloadable files in the library are PDF files but some of the file names do not have the *.PDF extension. On some computers e.g. Windows 10 using Firefox, the system may not automatically recognize the file type and so the process is to save the file to your Downloads folder, for example, and rename the file with a .PDF extension and then you should be able to view the file with a PDF viewer. So if you get a file like ABCD1234 and can't open it, then change the filename to ABCD1234.PDF

No such problem with Win 7/Explorer, Mac/Chrome,Mac/Safari.

I learned that you can also download and view Library PDF files on iPad and iPhone (and other "small glass") but here are a few tricks that may speed you along:

1) Log into MY ACCOUNT by clicking the little "v" to the right of STORE in the top menu and then when MY ACCOUNT appears, click on MY ACCOUNT and enter your Store Account Login and Password.

2) Once you download a PDF file, in order to view it you will need to rename the file if it is missing the *.PDF extension in the file name (e.g. Heddon 1917 file). To accomplish that I use a cloud storage account ( e.g. Dropbox) and a corresponding cloud file management App on my devices. My Dropbox App allows me to change the file name when saving the file to that cloud storage account (and locally on my device). Then I can view the file once the file name ends in ".PDF". Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF Reader may be needed/useful.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The online library now has more than 900 titles available for download.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006