Your thoughts on replating..

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
stevenm
Advanced Board Poster

Your thoughts on replating..

Post by stevenm »

Just layed a fresh coat of nickel on a reel, and it got me thinking...
What say you? Acceptable resto action or leave the finish as it is/was, even if ugly?
Like those Kentucky style reels
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Your thoughts on replating..

Post by john elder »

I will just say that I wish it was acceptable, as it is in car restoration and other areas of collecting. In general, the Old Guard has considered in the same category as repainting a lure. I have not done plating on lesser reels because it is just not worth the hassle and heavy metal poisoning to turn a 10 buck reel into a 20 buck reel. I have replated many parts like screws, pillars, etc that were made to restore worthwhile reels and match the original finish. Still not sure where the line should be drawn in the sand on this one. Regardless, after seeing the inside and outside of hundreds of reels, there has been no shortage of past plating work by out forefathers and Fore-uncles, acceptable or not...
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Couldn't agree with John more. It's an area as sensitive as polygamy and devil worship. I would take John's comment on "a line in the sand", one more step. That line will last about as long, as the gap between waves.
There are 7.7 Billion people in the world and just about as many opinions on this one. As Deke knows, even re-plating parts can open old wounds. :?:
Rick Heitman
- Bad Casts, backlash, no bites? Check the Nut holding the rod !! -
stevenm
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stevenm »

Interesting thoughts gents. You are right in that it is probably not worth making 10 extra bucks for the work. Obviously a kentucky would never go under the wand (not by my hands anyways). This reel is just for learning and practice. Rick, your right about opinions...I usually have a strong one, but still cant decide if I'm for it or against it, lol.

Edit* had a thought here...if you replate a car bumper, you dont stand to lose much character"...but much can be lost in the thin stampings of a reel? Maybe the angst lies here?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I don't get it. Making a new "rubber" sideplate, a new ivory or wooden grasp, new foot, new screws, new pillar, etc., is okay, but a good new finish, i.e., replating job, isn't? Beginning to wonder what the word "restore" means. Or are we to decide that it's the value of the reel that determines whether or not any restoration is justifiable?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

I think "restoration" is a misnomer and it is impossible to restore something that has been well-used to the original factory condition. I'm pretty much anti-restoration for all collectables. Cleaning something up enough to keep it usable is one thing. Trying to fool others into thinking it was not well-used is another. There is nothing wrong with good honest wear and it is part of the piece's history.
-steve
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

I love seeing this subject surface, now and again. It's like running into your high school girlfriend....but now she's 73.

If it helps the reel - Do it / If it hurts the reel - Don't. Then stand back and listen to all the opinions.
You'll lose either way. :o
Rick Heitman
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I love seeing this subject surface, now and again. It's like running into your high school girlfriend....but now she's 73.
:jester :jester :jester :jester :jester

I'm pretty much anti-restoration for all collectables.
Not a fan?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

stevenm
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stevenm »

Rachael says we have to work this out rick... :D
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

With 7.7 BILLION people in the world, the odds are in my favor that....you didn't go to HS with her. BUT, if you did..... :bow:
Rick Heitman
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yeah, Steve, that’s about it. Replating falls under the category of cosmetics and one can argue that such changes are not necessary, should not be done, and certainly not worth the bother for reels of little value. Making new screws, pillars, feet, grasps and repairing busted side plates all fall into the category of restoration to function and hopefully, to original style and specs. I have collector friends that won’t even clean a reel for fear of “hurting” it, in spite of the fact that the reel continues to deteriorate in the absence of rescue. I have other acquaintances that strive to restore reels to original to the point where you can’t tell anything has been done. If you make a new NS screw and drop it into a pile of originals and you can’t find it again, I consider that a win...some would still consider it a crime against Nature and Nature’s God.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
stevenm
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stevenm »

Understood john, I can see both sides of the argument, and must say to each his own. The only two risks I see are as follows: 1. Someone does it to dupe the next guy, 2. The originator of the replate loses sight of the reel and it becomes a perfect reel....i guess one or the other are destined to happen eventually on any replate...
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Making new screws, pillars, feet, grasps and repairing busted side plates all fall into the category of restoration to function
Replacing missing pieces of sideplates, drilling out and replacing screws with broken heads, replacing broken or bent grasps and feet are often cosmetic, not necessarily mechanical, restorations.

A good plating job protects the metal beneath. Of course, replating requires the same care that replacing a screw does. You don't put a a Phillips screw on an FVH reel. The plating must be done on a smooth, clean surface, etc.
not worth the bother for reels of little value
That's true for any repair/restoration. The bother:value ratio is subjective.

Before we get too carried away: My only point is that replating per se is a legitimate restoration step if you're restoring a reel. The value is irrelevant. The preferences of patina lovers are irrelevant.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

The "Big Giant Head" of common sense...is back. :bow:
Rick Heitman
stevenm
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stevenm »

All done with this one. Lots learned!
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

From the NFLCC Sales Trading Guideline.

http://nflcc.org/pdf/Sales-Trading-Guidelines.pdf

2. Identification of Reproductions, Repaints and Restorations
a. Reproductions: The NFLCC does not support the reproduction of antique fishing tackle for fraudulent
purposes. Reproductions may be displayed and/or sold at any sanctioned NFLCC show or event, only if
they are permanently marked, tagged, or otherwise clearly identified as such.
b. Repaints: Shall be marked deeply into the lure or item with the artist’s initial or trademark, in such a
manner making it impossible to remove without altering the item. The artist's identifying mark or marks
should be registered with the NFLCC Secretary/Treasurer, to be published annually for identification and
educational purposes.
c. Restoration: Any known restoration or alteration must be pointed out to a prospective buyer or
trader. An identifying tag should be attached to the item to avoid misunderstanding. Failure to do so will
void a sale/trade at the option of the buyer or trader within 14-day exam period.
escharfie
Advanced Board Poster

Post by escharfie »

Just for giggles..... A Mitchell 300 plated in silver.

fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

You can equate this dilemma to old coins except all experienced coin collectors agree that you should never ever clean old coins as it ruins the value of the coin.