Penn/Pflueger comparison

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Reeltyme

Penn/Pflueger comparison

Post by Reeltyme »

I had the opportunity to clean a Penn Battle 4000 and then start the cleaning process on a Pflueger President today. I was quite surprised to find that the 2 reels were almost identical internally! I did not try, but I believe that the 2 reels are interchangeable for the most part. I noted that on the Pflueger, they did “one up” Penn on a couple of areas. Pflueger added a retainer screw to the gear for the drive slide on the end of the shaft and also found a ball bearing under the same gear, Penn had neither. Although I’m not sure that either is necessary for prolonged or smoother operation. Both reels felt equally good as far as smoothness of operation. But the addition of the retaining screw and bearings can’t hurt? The anti reverse on the Pflueger had a rather cheap plastic ring that went around the bearings and was engaged/disengaged with the usual lever located on the underneath of the spool (same location on Penn) but on the Penn reel, the same setup was enclosed in the housing and not visible. Aside from these notations, the 2 reels looked identical internally. I am a big fan of both brands but never expected to find them interchangeable? Thought that y’all might find this interesting.
Reeltyme
Randy McConnell
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Penn/Pflueger comparison

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Some Shakespeares fall into that same category. Newell owns all of them through Jarden & Pure Fishing and a large number of those Asian made reels come right out of the same factory and off the same assembly line. You would be surprised how many reels some of their parts fit. The Battle 4000 main gear fits at least 22 different reels, 12 Penn, 9 Pflueger & 1 Shakespeare. :roll:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Sigh....
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Something about hell and a hand basket?
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Let’s hear it for the good old days-and reels!

BB