A WWII submariner’s foot locker

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Mike N
Star Board Poster

A WWII submariner’s foot locker

Post by Mike N »

I was walking around an outdoor antiques fair today with my son in Washington, Pa when we both noticed a neat painting of a submarine on a foot locker. The submariner’s name “Bartolozzi, R.R” is printed just above it and also appears inside on a piece of the uniform. My father was retired Army and I’m familiar with those ranks, but I’m not quite sure what the three stripes on the sleeve cuff designate.

The submarine is USS-402, which research indicates was the WW II Balao-class submarine “Sea Fox” which was launched on 28 March 1944 with service in the Pacific under the command of Lt. Commander Roy C. Klinker.

I’m happy to be the temporary caretaker of this treasure, but my ultimate goal would be to donate it to a museum in the sailor’s hometown or give it to a family member. Any ORCA member who can assist in the search efforts would be appreciated.

Mike N.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Re: A WWII submariner’s foot locker

Post by joe klaus »

Neat item Mike and nice gesture to attempt to find a family member to whom it should have great significance.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

That name does not appear on the sailing list for that vessel but perhaps the list is incomplete: http://seafoxss402.homestead.com/Bios.html
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Paul M wrote:That name does not appear on the sailing list for that vessel but perhaps the list is incomplete: http://seafoxss402.homestead.com/Bios.html

Thanks for locating that list, Paul. The basis for believing the vessel was the SS-402 is this blow-up of the artwork on the foot locker.

I think the painting on the box is clearly a submarine. The only other vessel I could find with “402” was a destroyer class, the USS Mayrant, DD-402.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
charleyb
Frequent Board Poster

Post by charleyb »

Mike,
If all else fails, you might try applying for information at
www. "archives.gov/personnel-records-center/military-personnel"
It takes a few weeks but is a great resource.
Good luck,
Charley

edit on site name, sorry!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

charleyb wrote:Mike,
If all else fails, you might try applying for information at
www. "archives.gov/personnel-records-center/military-personnel"
It takes a few weeks but is a great resource.
Good luck,
Charley edit on site name, sorry!
Thanks, Charley. I believe you have to be a decedent’s next-of-kin to access veterans records on that government site.

However, on Folio Ancestry.com I was able to find US Navy records of a muster roster of “passengers” on the USS Mizar in December 14, 1943, which included “S1c” rated Ralph R. Bartolozzi who enlisted on 4-27-43 at Pittsburgh, Pa. with a “purpose of travel” as “R/S Navy 134.” Another record notes an enlistment in the Navy from 4 May 1943 to 18 April 1946.

No mention of submarine duty yet. However, inasmuch as the Sea Fox had its maiden launch on 28 March 1944, the dates of enlistment fit.

Now for something really cool— Ralph R. Bartolozzi played minor league baseball in the Pittsburgh Pirates system in 1942, then with a break for service in the US Navy from 1943-1946, until he resumed playing pro baseball in again from 1947 to 1951, at which time he was with the Cincinnati Reds organization. He never reached the major leagues.

See photos below.

Mike N
Last edited by Mike N on Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Here are R.R Bartolozzi’s minor league baseball stats with time off for military service 1943-1946. Note that he is listed as only 16 years old when he started playing professionally in 1942 (Date of birth 1926).

Last edited by Mike N on Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Ralph Reno Bartolozzi resided in Washington, PA where you found his locker.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey Mike, this is an interesting adventure you're on. Finding the history of an item like the foot locker is always fun. If you haven't already, I'm sure you can find more info on ancestry.com.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Too cool !

Love the box, the contents and the history of it all you are uncovering.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I got onto Ancestry and found a few personal details. One of Ralph Reno Bartolozzi's military record shows he was involved with submarine (maintenance) as a seaman first class, connecting a specific RR Bartolozzi to the locker. His life spanned 8/13/1924 until 08/19/1990. In Sept 1952 at the age of 28, he married Dolores Celachi in VA. He was unemployed at the time. She was 35 years of age and listed as a secretary on the marriage certificate. She passed in 2009 and they are buried together at Mon Valley Memorial Cemetery. She and her family resided in Charleroi, PA where there is/was another Ralph Bartolozzi listed. I don't know if that is/was their son or a grandson. Ralph Reno Bartolozzi did have a sister about the same age.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Paul M wrote:I got onto Ancestry and found a few personal details. One of Ralph Reno Bartolozzi's military record shows he was involved with submarine (maintenance) as a seaman first class, connecting a specific RR Bartolozzi to the locker. His life spanned 8/13/1924 until 08/19/1990. In Sept 1952 at the age of 28, he married Dolores Celachi in VA. He was unemployed at the time. She was 35 years of age and listed as a secretary on the marriage certificate. She passed in 2009 and they are buried together at Mon Valley Memorial Cemetery. She and her family resided in Charleroi, PA where there is/was another Ralph Bartolozzi listed. I don't know if that is/was their son or a grandson. Ralph Reno Bartolozzi did have a sister about the same age.
Wow, thanks Paul. I think the best bet is to try find an obituary from a funeral home in the Mon Valley (south of Pittsburgh) that might list next of kin.

The “S1c” rank on the transport ship USS Mizer 1943 muster roster above obviously stands for “seaman first class.”

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Apparently there is an obituary in a local paper that can be ordered but I didn’t place an order. Not sure when I will be able to get back to Ancestry at the library so hopefully someone else will pick it up from here.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
linseysargent
Big ORCA Fan

Post by linseysargent »

I'm not sure who I am responding to, but anyway.
My daughter ran across this post recently, and she sent it to me. My name is Linsey Sargent, and R R Bartolozzi was my uncle, by marriage to my aunt Dolores Celaschi.
Ralph and Dolores had no children, but they were very close to their nieces and nephews (6), and their children.
After leaving baseball and getting married, Ralph worked for the Allenport Works of Pittsburgh Steel Corp until he retired. They spent their time traveling to visit their "children".

We are very interested in what happened to his footlocker. We don't know why he didn't bring it home with him? If it was donated to a museum, we would like to know, so we could visit.

Thank you,
Linsey Sargent.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Wow, what an amazing connection in this post and the efforts to make this happen. Many WWII vets set aside their military items like a closed chapter. My uncle doesn't want his footlocker back even though it's signed by each member of the crew on his plane and they all survived combat. He' 95 and still drives.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

linseysargent wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:59 am I'm not sure who I am responding to, but anyway.
My daughter ran across this post recently, and she sent it to me. My name is Linsey Sargent, and R R Bartolozzi was my uncle, by marriage to my aunt Dolores Celaschi.
Ralph and Dolores had no children, but they were very close to their nieces and nephews (6), and their children.
After leaving baseball and getting married, Ralph worked for the Allenport Works of Pittsburgh Steel Corp until he retired. They spent their time traveling to visit their "children".

We are very interested in what happened to his footlocker. We don't know why he didn't bring it home with him? If it was donated to a museum, we would like to know, so we could visit.

Thank you,
Linsey Sargent.

After waiting over a year for a response and getting none, I donated the foot locker and naval uniform to Greg and Deb Smith, a local DAR member and a vintage clothing dealer in Centre Market, Wheeling WV with the directive to find it a good home.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
linseysargent
Big ORCA Fan

Post by linseysargent »

Okay, I will try to get in touch with them.

Thank you.