Abu Garcia Cardinal Royal Plus C series

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Abu Garcia Cardinal Royal Plus C series

Post by Skip »

Hi guys

I've got some of the Cardinal C series, C3s and C4s. What is the difference, if any, between them and the Royal Plus reels?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Abu Garcia Cardinal Royal Plus C series

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The ABU Garcia Royal Plus was an exclusive version for, and sold only by, Bass Pro Shops. It is the exact same as the first version ABU Garcia green line Cardinal 3 & 4 but with different colored spool (gold dental mold), sideplate sticker and different colored box. The Royal Plus did not come in 4X or 5 models. They are somewhat tough to come by, especially in good condition. The ABU Garcia C3, C4, C4X & C5 were the second version, i.e. last version. Also, when sales started falling off in the late '80s/early '90s ABU Garcia decided to come out with the nostalgic green and cream colored "Special Edition" to boost sales. Those came in C3, C4, & C4X models and some of these reels were made on previous black C model bodies, rotors and sideplates.

There's and article in the Nov. 2014 Reel News That Ben Wright and I worked on referencing some of this information but it doesn't discuss the Bass Pro Royal Plus line.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

I'm not sure we're on the same page here..

This is the reel I'm asking about.

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Skip wrote:I'm not sure we're on the same page here..
Yes, that's the reel I discussed in my first five sentences. Made exclusively for Bass Pro Shops.

Here are a couple of photo examples. The reels on the ends of the top row in the first photo are the 2007 C3 & C33 reissue which were made in China.

As you can see, the ABU Garcia Cardinal spools have a sticker with a green & gold dental pattern and the Royal Plus spools have the same pattern in black and gold. The decals on all the sideplates and spools are nothing more than glued on stickers. A Cardinal Royal Plus schematic is the same as the first (84-0) green line version schematic except it says "Cardinal Royal Plus" at the bottom. The part numbers are the same.

Here's a closeup photo of the different style and color of their boxes. There is no green line on the Royal Plus boxes like those first version Cardinal boxes. The light gray & black boxes last versions and the white box is for the C4X "Special Edition".

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

Thanks, Tommy.

I fish with these reels so I'm not really inclined to pay a premium for the Royal Plus if it's the same reel with different graphics.

I've seen some of those later model Chinese made reels on the ends of the top row in your picture. How do those stack up in quality and performance? I seem to recall they have more ball bearings in the gearbox.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I've never fished one. I bought them strictly for their rarity and to display. Neither has ever been on a rod. They were both manufactured in limited quantities and there were limited, some estimates are 1000 & others 2500, C33s produced for the European market before the Pure Fishing trademark dispute after which they were taken off the market.

I bought a C3 for my dad and he seems to think it's OK, but he hasn't used it a lot. They are like any of the newer style Asian made reels, very smooth. It is nowhere near the quality of its predecessors. I looked at the innards of one and was shocked that they used a mechanism similar to a level wind bar in their gearing and oscillation. IMO, other than the rear drag feature, which, BTW, has fewer drag washers than the older versions, I felt that under significant use they would show a lot of wear fairly quickly and end up just being another Asian made throwaway reel.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

Thanks for the info. Looks like another reel I can pass on.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Holy Moly! So that’s what a fraction of the Midway Tommy Stash looks like! About time we had some show and tell from you, Tommy!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

john elder wrote:Holy Moly! So that’s what a fraction of the Midway Tommy Stash looks like! About time we had some show and tell from you, Tommy!
Here's a couple of updated photos, John. Sorry about the glare but mirror backed cabinets are a bear to photo. Half the "Stash" is still in totes waiting to be opened up, cleaned, serviced & displayed. I have a major conundrum, though :roll: , I've run out of shelf, cabinet, wall & room space. :bash:

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

That's a Helluva stash, Tommy. I like the use of cabinets, too.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Midway Tommy D wrote:
john elder wrote:Holy Moly! So that’s what a fraction of the Midway Tommy Stash looks like! About time we had some show and tell from you, Tommy!
Here's a couple of updated photos, John. Sorry about the glare but mirror backed cabinets are a bear to photo. Half the "Stash" is still in totes waiting to be opened up, cleaned, serviced & displayed. I have a major conundrum, though :roll: , I've run out of shelf, cabinet, wall & room space. :bash:

Consider eliminating the master bedroom.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

wrong99 wrote: Consider eliminating the master bedroom.
If I did that the only place left for me would be the "Dog House". :lol:

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

Holt mackeral Mr. Midway- that's a mess of cardinals. Nice collection.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

That's a Helluva stash, Tommy. I like the use of cabinets, too.
Thanks, Skip. Those cabinets sure save a lot of dusting :wink: ......... except for the top shelf of the Curio. It's lighted so the dust makes it through to the top shelf. :roll:
arley wrote:Holy mackeral Mr. Midway- that's a mess of cardinals. Nice collection.
Thanks Arley. 130 Cardinals + - one or two. I have about 25 on rods that I exclusively fish with. I love those fulcrum drag designs! I've slowed down a lot on buying/collecting/accumulating :roll: , but it's still an ongoing process. :wink: You never know when that special example may expose itself. :mrgreen:

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027