Dissolving old grease

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: Dissolving old grease

Post by Paul Roberts »

Following a recommendation, I tried dilute vinegar. So far, it's worked probably better than the "products" I was trying.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

OK, here's the procedure I've settled on, so far; Correct me if you see a potential problem:
Mineral spirits cuts the grease the quickest (using "odor-free" MS). Then Dawn dish soap to wash off the MS residue. Then fresh water to wash off any soap residue. Allowed to thoroughly dry before reassembling.

I'm pretty thorough (my purposes being performance -casting/fishing), using a toothbrush, coarse nylon brush, and a toothpick for the crusty spots. For the tight places I may also use a nylon tube brush, a dental floss brush, cotton swabs, 'pinch-rolled' paper towel, and cut strips of thin box-board. I may use fine steel wool in esp tenacious places -like corroded spools.
jgestar
Big ORCA Fan

Post by jgestar »

I usually wash with Dawn soap first, then soak the parts in solvent. I reuse my solvent, so the less junk dissolved, the longer it lasts (I filter out the chunks periodically). Sometimes the reel cleans up enough with the Dawn that I can skip the solvent soak and remove the last bits of schmutz with mineral spirits and Q-tips.

Pipe cleaners are extremely useful too. I wet them with mineral spirits and use them to clean out screw holes, bearings, and oil passages (weird stuff gets into those screw holes). Finally, a set of fine toothed needle files. They are good for removing burrs from mistreated screw heads and abused reel parts.

Tom
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Pipe cleaners and needle files. :cool
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Midway Tommy D wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:06 am Here are a disassembled, cleaned & ready to reassemble Shakespeare 2062 & Penn 712 I did awhile back as a comparison. Sizes are comparable. Penns seem to get the oohs & ahs but Shakespeares from that era are built just as darn good.

Tom, I just picked up a Pflueger 551 (Shakespeare 2062). Excited to see it from what I’ve been able to find out about them.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Tom, I just picked up a Pflueger 551 (Shakespeare 2062). Excited to see it from what I’ve been able to find out about them.
They're a quality light size reel. I'm sure you'll like it.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027