Mitchell CAP 304

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Mitchell CAP 304

Post by Skip »

I got this CAP 304 in a lot of parts reels, all there but one sideplate screw (at least if it's missing some internal parts I'm unaware), just filthy dirty and crusty with solidified grease in the works.

I've given it a bit of a cleanup and it runs ok. Considering refinishing it as the rotor is pretty crusty and the frame paint is chipped and worn in places.

But it looks like the anti-reverse lever is not removable, so that would have to be polished first and then masked off for painting. As for paint, I'm leaning toward VHT paint, when that stuff is cured it's hard as a rock.

Any advice on paint/restoration would be appreciated

Pics are of the reel as received and after cleanup.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Mitchell CAP 304

Post by Midway Tommy D »

That turned out pretty good, Skip. Most guys would have just thrown it in the parts bin. :D With a fresh coat of paint it will probably last another 60 years. :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

Thanks to Dick Janak.

Dick sent me the needed sideplate screw, refused compensation.

I'm sure he's done many similar things in the past, but I wanted to thank him for it.

The old CAP 304 may not be pretty, but it's 100% functional. If I get around to sprucing it up, I'll post an update.
don309
Big ORCA Fan

Post by don309 »

I painted a few Mitchell's with dupli-color auto paint, and Max 2K clear coal. I posted a reel in show and tell forum.