Classic Rod and Reel Combos

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Classic Rod and Reel Combos

Post by kevinhaney1 »

One of the things that I'm finding most satisfying about collecting old fishing tackle is finding that perfect vintage rod to go with a great old reel. You know, when it seems like they were just meant to be together and they not only perform exceptionally well as a team, but also look great together? Usually (but not always) they were made by the same company and are matched in size and weight. Below are some of my classic combos, and I'm hoping others will share pictures of theirs.

My fiberglass selections, from the bottom:

1. Garcia Mitchell 308 reel - Garcia 4-star ultralight rod, 5.5'
2. Shakespeare 2052 reel - Shakespeare Back Country Special Wonderod, 5' 10"
3. Garcia Mitchell 300 reel - Garcia Conolon 3-star rod, 7'
4. Airex Larchmont Model 3 reel - Airex Airglass #253 rod, 7'

And for the split bamboo selection:

1. Luxor Special 1949 reel - Luxor 400 rod, 7'
2. Luxor Supreme No. 2R reel - Luxor 500 rod, 7'
3. Orvis 100 reel, Orvis Impregnated Heavy Duty Spining rod, 7.5'

All of these I have fished or will fish. Please share your own!

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Classic Rod and Reel Combos

Post by Mike N »

Man, I really appreciate those glass rods and Garcia Mitchell reels. And of course, the vintage Orvis spinning combo is the bomb. Thanks for posting those photos.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Thanks Mike! But you know, if I had to pick the highest quality combos, I'd have to go with the French Luxors. Both the reels and rods are pretty much the highest quality I've seen. For smoothness of operation and quality of engineering, they seem to be superior to the American reels. That's pretty amazing since they were also one of the earliest spinning reels.

Kevin
roycestearns
Frequent Board Poster

Post by roycestearns »

Mike will appreciate these combos

1 (top) CF Orvis #12 lancewood Henshall Bass Rod with fluted B Walnut handgrip and a CF Orvis patented second edition bass fly reel ( a Henshall-Van Antwerp black bass reel would be a better combo)
2 (bottom) CF Orvis #21 Bamboo fly rod with removable wrapped handgrip with a CF Orvis patented third edition NS reel

kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I think all of us can appreciate those drool-worthy combos!

Kevin
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I have to admit, I was hoping that more folks would be willing to share some of their classic rod and reel combos. I guess people are busy with the holidays. Anyway, here is a new one for me. This one is a Bradco bullet reel and Garcia Conolon 2-star 6.5' rod. I haven't been able to find out anything about Bradco. Does anyone know when these reels were made or anything else about the company?

Kevin

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I haven't been able to find out anything about Bradco. Does anyone know when these reels were made or anything else about the company?
They were made & sold by Bradco Products of Westfield, Massachusetts in the early 1950s. They came in models 53 & 54. I have seen them in blue and green. I've also seen one with a black body but I'm pretty sure it was a repaint as it is the only one with a black satin body that I have ever seen.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

roycestearns wrote:Mike will appreciate these combos

1 (top) CF Orvis #12 lancewood Henshall Bass Rod with fluted B Walnut handgrip and a CF Orvis patented second edition bass fly reel ( a Henshall-Van Antwerp black bass reel would be a better combo)
2 (bottom) CF Orvis #21 Bamboo fly rod with removable wrapped handgrip with a CF Orvis patented third edition NS reel

Royce,

Great combinations shown there. If I approached a stream with either of those in hand, I would expect to see a few brookies waiving little white flags above the riffles...

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Thanks Tom, I was sure someone on this forum would know something about them ;-) Do you have any idea what the difference between the models were, or which mine is?

Kevin
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I don't know the differences between the models but there was also a Model 56 that I left out. The earliest advertising I have seen was by H-I in a 1952 Popular Mechanics magazine. Back in the day, when it was still in its small size format, Popular Mechanics seemed to be the go-to magazine.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Not exactly a "Classic" but I recently recreated my own teenage boy classic that served me well for many years starting in 1957. The reel is a 1755 Shakespeare that I purchased after viewing one in action by a Shakespeare salesman who put on a demonstration in our hometown in 1956. I originally matched the reel with a 7ft Hiawatha rod from the local Gamble's store. The screenshot is 16 year old Bill Sonnett in 1960 landing a pike on the original outfit.Image
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

That’s a great setup, Bill! And I think it is “classic,” and so is that epic photo.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Thank You Mike
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Some combos, dead leaves, and other stuff:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Beautiful Steve! Maybe we should have a contest to see who can take the prettiest antique tackle picture.

Kevin
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Here are another couple of combos for your viewing pleasure:

Top: Malloch of Perth 10.5' greenehart fly rod with unmarked Nottingham reel

Bottom: Malloch 9.5' greenheart fly rod with Malloch brass reel

I hope to fish these two combos in the near future. There's just something about a wooden reel on a wooden rod that really does it for me!

Kevin

roycestearns
Frequent Board Poster

Post by roycestearns »

Kevin, Those are gorgeous setups. I assume you've fished the wooden combos before, what's your technique, more of a roll cast technique or do you false cast?

Together those look like art ... inspiring.

Fly choices? Do you have a japanned fly box and cast tin to go with? I suspect you have a shoulder bag, vintage knickers, bowler and tie to go with?
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Is this what you were thinking of Royce? The one on the right is me, last year... :D

roycestearns
Frequent Board Poster

Post by roycestearns »

Puuurrrrfect
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Well, we have seen some mighty fine spinning and fly reel/rod combinations. Here are a few tournament casting combos from the 1930’s through 1960’s.

Custom made circa. 1965 by machinist Andy Joker of Dayton, Ohio, this tournament casting reel is mounted on a bamboo cane rod which has been modified with the addition of a trigger grasp.

Here are two other tiny tournament reels - a B.F. Meek & Sons No. 2 and a Meek Horton No.2. Both are mounted on split bamboo rods. The Meek Horton also has a rare thumb rest to go with the pistol trigger grip as shown, both of which appear to have been added at the factory.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Sorry for the lousy photography. I usually go outside on an overcast day but it is 33 degrees and steady rain so without natural light, I'm at a handicap. These are colorful and seldom seen rods from the 1940's. The first is a 1940 Marhoff on a 1947 Warren Products Beryllium-Copper rod. The second is one of the more colorful South Bend reels on the short-lived chrome-plated True Temper Perfect rod. This rod is so shiny that I always felt the glare off the rod on a sunny day would spook fish in shallow water.

ImageImage
flylutz
Frequent Board Poster

Post by flylutz »

2 Vintages Abbey& imbrie (meisselbach aluminium and german silver frame) with an abbey & imbrie stalya fly rod 1920 approximatly

The first horrocks ibbotson After y&e " the little finger does it" with an horrocks ibbotson fly rod 1920 approximatly

Fred.
flylutz
Frequent Board Poster

Post by flylutz »

Vintage Shakespeare Marvel bamboo flamme 9#5 and honorable Shakespeare 1806 fly reel

Fred.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Coxe 4/0 reel (LA) on a #4 Edward Vom Hofe rod:

Hardy Zane Grey big game combo, with fruit:

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

john elder wrote:
Hardy Zane Grey big game combo, with fruit:
The citrus is a nice California touch, John. Rod/reel combo is great, too.

It rather puts you in the same artistic category as Paul Cezanne:

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990