Hedge fund decimated Cabelas workforce

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Hedge fund decimated Cabelas workforce

Post by Mike N »

I love our flagship Cabelas store in nearby Wheeling, WV. This comment is about the loss of a great sporting name brand, not politics. I don’t always agree with Fox’s Tucker Carlson but he was dead-on with his recent segment about how a hedge fund forced the merger of Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops and caused the loss of thousands of jobs in Sidney, NE, all just to make a quick buck. I won’t post a link but just google Fox News and Cabela merger.

As for me, I’ll continue to buy as much of my fishing tackle at locally-owned sporting goods stores no matter that it may cost a tad more. My 3 adult children got me a new Orvis 2-wt., 6’6” glass fly rod for Christmas and I was ecstatic that they got it at locally-owned International Angler in Pittsburgh rather than on-line or at a big box sporting goods store.

It’s easy to shop on line, but don’t be surprised when there are no more fishing tackle dealers in your area someday.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Hedge fund decimated Cabelas workforce

Post by john elder »

I agree, Mike...linda and I were in several local shopping areas and we were appalled at all the empty stores that had gone out of business. Support locally whenever you can, Folks! We can afford to shell out a few more bucks if it will save some businesses and jobs. Idon’t Care for our New Normal, even ifAmazon is more convenient.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

Time Immemorial

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Mike N wrote:I love our flagship Cabelas store in nearby Wheeling, WV. This comment is about the loss of a great sporting name brand, not politics. I don’t always agree with Fox’s Tucker Carlson but he was dead-on with his recent segment about how a hedge fund forced the merger of Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops and caused the loss of thousands of jobs in Sidney, NE, all just to make a quick buck. I won’t post a link but just google Fox News and Cabela merger.

It’s easy to shop on line, but don’t be surprised when there are no more fishing tackle dealers in your area someday.
Think of what it has been like to nearly grow up with Cabela's right here in NE and see their down fall. :( When they were privately owned they were basically unmatched in inventory selection and quality. After going public both experienced continuous reductions until the sad state they are in now after the Bass Pro acquisition. I have one 4 miles from my adobe and have personally witnessed the deterioration since the buyout. It's a sad thing to have seen happen. The new Bass Pro/Cabela's doesn't hold a candle to Cabela's of ten years ago. I seldom even go there anymore. What a shame, all for the almighty shareholder liquidation dollar. :twisted:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027