Member Profile - John Huskey

Post information about yourself and your collecting interests.
jhuskey
Frequent Board Poster

Member Profile - John Huskey

Post by jhuskey »

Good day Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is John Huskey. First post obviously - retired sales exec. Born Tennessee, grew up in Southern Ohio, UP of Michigan now settled in Illinois.
US Navy vet 73-76 on AD 36 USS Bryce Canyon, Pearl Harbor. Dad was USN radioman WWII, Pacific Fleet.
I like fly fishing and gear fishing, golf, dogs - have some Pflueger Medalists and Hardy's, misc. others.
Becoming interested in old baitcasters, so searching where to start for reels to fish with - I'm a hick so will likely focus on Ohio and Kentucky built.
Thank ya kindly.
John :fished

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Member Profile - John Huskey

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Welcome, John! It is always nice to see new folks here that have gleaned an interest in old fishing reels & tackle. 8)
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
jhuskey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jhuskey »

Thanks Tom! Nice to be here - a WEALTH of information on ORCA, and very much appreciated!
Best,
John
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Welcome John. Always nice to see when people from the bamboo forum end up here.
Mark
jhuskey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jhuskey »

Thank you Mark!
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Welcome, John!....Baitcasters to fish with from Ohio = Pflueger Supreme and Skilkast. Enjoy!
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Welcome John. Lots of Ky and Ohio reels worth fishing. Hope you can make it to Frankfort this year.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
jhuskey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jhuskey »

Thank you Scott and Matt! My oldest baitcaster currently is a 1st model Shimano BB-1. The shinny old metal reels are calling me home I think. They won't do anything different or better than modern, just feel better and talk to me - I hope anyway. I was gifted my Dad's old wooden plugs years ago when a young teen after he stopped fishing and concentrated on golf - I have since lost them all fishing them, wish I had them back for sure.
Last edited by jhuskey on Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhuskey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jhuskey »

Oh, I am thinking about a Kentucky road trip later this year. Hope that works out - would love to see all the candy at the ORCA Kentucky hoedown.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Welcome, John! You should join ORCA if you haven’t ( being a member of this board is different) and plan on attending the ORCA convention in Frankfort, Kentucky in September! You will get the full KY treatment, meet some great people, and see all the history from the heart of the hobby!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
jhuskey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jhuskey »

Thank you John. My 91 year old Mother lives in Bowling Green, so we have been to Kentucky many times. Actually have/had quite a few family members in Kentucky, most gone now. Yes a member now, and thanks for the welcome :!:
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Welcome, John! An uncle and a retired USMC neighbor who I was close to growing up were both pipe smokers, and that photo made me miss that aroma of a good blended bowl of pipe tobacco. That’s a great fly reel collection, too!

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
jhuskey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jhuskey »

Thanks Mike N :!:
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

John, I live in Jackson Michigan. My summer cottage is in Napoleon Michigan a short jump off I94. Feel free to stop by anytime. I fish almost exclusively with older baitcasters and have a huge selection that you can try out to help make your decisions about what older equipment you would like to use. I always encourage folks to fish with this stuff and almost always they find it a lot of fun. Any time in the summer is good for me.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
jhuskey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jhuskey »

Thank you Bill! Very generous offer indeed Sir. Our travel plans are at the mercy of the strength of our retirement nest egg - egg has a couple cracks and nest is missing some sticks/twigs.
Best,
John
:bricks:
Scott E
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Scott E »

Congratulations John on retirement and finding ORCA! It’s a terrific organization and a great group of people to get to know. I hope you can make it to the ORCA convention in Frankfort, KY this fall to join in on the fun and see for yourself!
jhuskey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jhuskey »

Thanks Scott E, we'll have to see how things play out for the Frankfort convention. Everyone stay safe and well.