MAJOR UPDATE TO REELTALK STARTING MAR 30

Check back here for all your latest ORCA news and announcements!
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: MAJOR UPDATE TO REELTALK STARTING MAR 30

Post by kyreels »

One of the advantages of having this new software is that we can tune it with stylesheet changes more readily than before. I was trying to mimic the style of our main site. We may need to tune this to better accommodate everyone's needs.

I also always run all my browser apps at 150% view by default, and set the fonts to medium. Some people set to large. I have pretty severe far sightedness, and the way I set my browser up makes Reeltalk very readable. Your browser can save things so that it should not cause you to do anything special for Reeltalk.

Having said all that, I do think we can tune the style to better accommodate the feedback. Stay tuned for some updates, and keep the comments coming. You will not hurt my feelings, the idea is to make this site perfect.

I would like to hear from others. Do we have any mobile users? Robin?
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey Matt, we can compare to Joe's and Classic Fly to check the differences. The fonts for caps are about 1/8 inches high with my monitor on ORCA and the other two. One thing different is the other sites use a lighter background or bold.
Last edited by RonG on Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ah, that is really convenient and fast in the new format!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I also always run all my browser apps at 150% view by default, and set the fonts to medium.
I use Chrome & my default zoom is 125% (old guy's eyes :wink: ). The page automatically fills my 22" screen with nice large print every time I visit, no adjustments needed on my PC.

I agree with Mark, it does look a little sterile but that can be an advantage we'll all get used to. The color contrast is very good. Better that than too much color and clutter.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

After going back and reviewing this and other sites, I would agree with Ron that a white background would make this far easier to read. I keep my 15 inch Chromebook set at 125% and really have no difficulty reading against a white background such as the one in the quick reply box but it is definitely a struggle against the darker background. I think this is why books are printed on white paper and not gray.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Please don't change the read background to white. It's fine in the type box but the light blue/gray is a much easier read on the eyes than stark white.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Actually, there is a feature in this new software where you can vary the style you choose in your profile. So if Bill wants one style and Tom wants another, you can set this in your profile that would only take effect when you login. The problem right now is I think the styles I have set up are about the same (Absolution is the default and ProSilver is an option). So I will work on that and let you know. But that change will take some time because I want to make sure I get it right and understand the best changes.

Keep those suggestions coming. We are all in this together, and I will get smarter as I get older, like Bill.
Matt Wickham
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I use mobile, iphone with Chrome. I don’t have any options to the sides of the screen as on a full screen and kind of miss having the latest post in each sub-forum on the main page. I also don’t see any obvious quicklinks on the top right, but do have a drop down list at the top left with some post functions. Haven’t tried creating a new post or image uploading but hopefully thats as smooth as advertised. The text is a decent size and just fine to read for me. I’ll try it on my laptop later or tomorrow.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

James, you have to login to Reeltalk on the mobile device to get the quicklink options.
Matt Wickham
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

After you log into ReelTalk on a smart phone the Quicklinks are revealed when you click the 3 bars at top left, as shown below

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I find that I can't delete any of my PM's. Anybody else notice this?
Mark
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

There is a bug in the list PM mark and delete. It is a known issue where there is an available beta patch. We will install it soon. In the meantime you can edit the pm message and use the X option to delete the individual post.
Matt Wickham
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I was logged in and did find the drop list on the left, just was looking for something else on the right. Guess I was good all along!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The new banner at the top of the redesigned Reel Talk is nice and "clean," but I think that the old ORCA menu, or an updated version, should be up there, too. The "Home" link above is the only means of getting to the ORCA home page from Reel Talk, and there is no indication that "Home" refers to the club's home page. There is no acknowledgement anywhere that the forum is sponsored by the club as a (expensive) service to the collecting community. It's almost as if the forum is an independent entity, akin to a Facebook page, which it's not.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
jr.evansii
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jr.evansii »

Looks nice and clean. I was glad to see the addition of a "Top" (of page) button in each post. I don't recall seeing that in the old format and had considered suggesting it. I miss the "Next" and "Previous" post buttons, and would suggest that those be placed both at the top and bottom of the page. It would just be a little easier than returning to the topic page to get to the adjacent posts.

Thanks for your hard work,
J.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Just checking out the picture load feature.

Everything on the update seems to be working OK for me so far and the appearance is nice and fresh as well.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Steve wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:19 am The new banner at the top of the redesigned Reel Talk is nice and "clean," but I think that the old ORCA menu, or an updated version, should be up there, too. The "Home" link above is the only means of getting to the ORCA home page from Reel Talk, and there is no indication that "Home" refers to the club's home page. There is no acknowledgement anywhere that the forum is sponsored by the club as a (expensive) service to the collecting community. It's almost as if the forum is an independent entity, akin to a Facebook page, which it's not.
I agree, and was thinking the same. The old method of trying to synchronize the two different menus was not viable, but we need to highlight the Orca connection and feature the Join Orca link and perhaps others. I have this on my list to do.
Matt Wickham
jr.evansii
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jr.evansii »

Also, can either the background or the text color be changed in the search bar? I can't see what I'm typing.

Thanks,
J.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

That is a bug I am trying to fix today. The text color should have been white. In the meantime you can select the gear icon to get the advanced search.
Matt Wickham
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Tried to upload some pics tonight but the site kept freezing when I engaged the uploader. Not sure if it was me or the site.
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Works for me. As before there is a picture file size limit of 2 MB.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

kyreels wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:49 pm Actually, there is a feature in this new software where you can vary the style you choose in your profile.

Keep those suggestions coming. We are all in this together, and I will get smarter as I get older, like Bill.
Exactly where is this in my profile? I've looked in all the settings and not seeing it.
"We'll take the car and drive all night. We'll get drunk. We'll go fishing and stay away until she's gone"
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

jimbofish wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:12 pm Exactly where is this in my profile? I've looked in all the settings and not seeing it.
If you press the down arrow next to your username on the upper right, you should see your User Control Panel. This has all kinds of info you can edit, such as your automatic signature and your board preferences. I noticed a new feature where you can manage your "Automatic Login Keys", which may solve a mystery some of you have as to why you sometimes have to login again from different IP addresses.

However, we have not enabled the feature to change overall styles of the board yet, just saying it is possible to do so with this software (I think). I have to learn more about it.
Matt Wickham
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Matt:

Two things I noticed today -

The "New Post" Quick Link is not working. It was yesterday. The "Unread Post" does work.

I have to manually log off. I didn't think I had to do that in the old version.

Great looking site!
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Matt, forget the "New Post" issue...it is working now.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009