MAJOR UPDATE TO REELTALK STARTING MAR 30

Check back here for all your latest ORCA news and announcements!
kyreels
Super Board Poster

MAJOR UPDATE TO REELTALK STARTING MAR 30

Post by kyreels »

Sorry for shouting, but wanted to make everyone aware that a major update to Reeltalk will start beginning at 8PM EST on Wed Mar 25. We will be moving our message board to the latest version of phpbb, version 3.3. The major update will occur on Mar 30.

This is a major change for us, and will involve some downtime and learning on everyone's part. The image uploader will certainly change, and you will notice other functionality changes also. If you want to read about the changes and see some of the other sites using this new software, please reference the link at https://www.phpbb.com/

I realize that this will be a large change, and it comes at a time when the board activity is strong and ideally we would not be doing it during this timeframe. However, it was long overdue, and a series of technical and security and support considerations made it necessary. I appreciate your patience and understanding. We are all in this one together!

The upgrade will take place in two major phases. First, we will update the board to the latest software, without changing much of the style and all of the plugins. Second, we will update style and menus to get back some of the unique features we all enjoy. Some of the functionality will improve, and we will have more access to features we have long wanted to see. The second phase may take a few days.

Feel free to post questions or comments on the new functionality. The moderators and I are here to help you through this change, and hope that it will result in a much stronger forum. Change is tough, but hang in there with us and I promise you it will be worth the wait after it is all done.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: MAJOR UPDATE TO REELTALK STARTING MAR 25

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I read the links and now I'm totally :? . :lol:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Yes, change can be tough. The last time they changed the editing format for our Bronson website, I've been unable to edit anything. I've been sitting here for over a year with lots of new photos and previously unknown Bronson models that I'm unable to add to the website. Hope this goes much smoother.
Mark
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I appreciate all the comments. I can almost guarantee that we will see some bugs or issues initially, since there is some much change at once. Ideally, change is gradual, like the proverbial frog in a cook pot. But we have not been able to do that, and now we must change at once.

Hang in there, and I promise to get us back to where we need. I also will help to get all the editing capability back on the subsites.
Matt Wickham
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

The update to 3.2 is done in our test environment. We have to update one more version and we may move to this production site on Thur or Friday. Stay tuned.
Matt Wickham
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I am available over the next few weeks to help implement Mark’s edits to the Bronson pages that are in the Wordpress part of our website. In fact any new reel research content should be added if someone has it. Send me content and instructions by e-mail if you want my assistance.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Work on the new reeltalk is almost done, we are still working on the image processing. There have been no changes to our current production live reeltalk board for those that are wondering. We are building the new reeltalk in a test environment, and will start applying the changes here when they are done. I am hopeful that is done by Sat 3/28 but will keep everyone posted.
Matt Wickham
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Wanted to update everyone (hey, all the governors are doing it). We are 99% of the way completed with the software upgrade in our test environment. We ran into an issue with our image uploader and its compatibility with all the latest software and security. We knew going in that there would be issues due to the unusual architecture it was built with. But a very talented individual (not me) is working on that right now.

I hope the upgrade will occur soon, we cant do it until it is right. I will keep you posted.
Matt Wickham
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: MAJOR UPDATE TO REELTALK STARTING MAR 30

Post by kyreels »

You will see a "Maintenance in Progress" message today when the update starts. We will be doing this during the daytime before 5 PM. Thanks for your patience.

Please note that the links for New Posts, Unread Posts, etc are now contained in a menu called Quicklinks. I think this may cause some people used to the old links some trouble, but this is done for better access on mobile devices. Many things are rearranged to improve tablet and mobile usage. Please make a note of that and try to learn the new application. We will take your suggestions into consideration for future releases.

I am excited that we are finally getting a major modernization and facelift that will enable us to add features in the future without so much trouble. This puts us into a much better position for the future. Thanks for your patience.
Matt Wickham
DavidIQ
Big ORCA Fan

Post by DavidIQ »

And voila 🎣
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Welcome to the new Reeltalk site. I would like to thank David IQ for a great job under some tough circumstances in getting our site updated. He has been great to work with.

Please post any comments here on the new site. Remember that things have changed to support the mobile experience. There are more items to the right hand side of your screen than before, so please look around your screen. Remember to look at the Quicklinks. Remember that you have to login to see every option. Remember to tell Reeltalk to Remember you.

If you encounter errors or have questions, both Brian and Ron and Paul and I are here, as well as the other moderators.
Matt Wickham
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Thanks Matt for yours and David's efforts. The new message board looks great. I'll have to spend a little time finding where the buttons are now, but I will and quickly.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Very nice, Matt and DavidIQ. Thank you! And good to know that if I ever have a mobile experience - Heaven forbid - it will be supported. :bow:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Steve, posting this on the mobile just to spite you

Matt Wickham
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

?
Last edited by Harry Verdurchi on Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Steve, posting this on the mobile just to spite you
Posting what? I can't see a thing. Have to say, though, that the little sperm dancing pair makes for an improved quote window.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Apparently I am still able to post pictures, The typeface seems smaller than before which necessitates me expanding the view in order to read without difficulty.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

:shock: I feel like I'm in the UK, everything is on the wrong side of he road. :usa :lol:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

All the white space is for the benefit of smart phones.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Bill Sonnett wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:16 pm ....The typeface seems smaller than before which necessitates me expanding the view in order to read without difficulty.
Chrome OS / Chromebook
– Making text larger
Press 'Ctrl' + 'Shift' + '+' (plus) to decrease the screen resolution, making everything bigger.

Press 'Ctrl' + 'Shift' + '–' (minus) to increase the screen resolution, making everything smaller.

Press 'Ctrl' + 'Shift' + '0' (zero) to return to the default screen resolution.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

One more change done today at the previous requests of several members was to open web links in a separate window. That keeps you on the board if you get lost. I like it, but let us know what you think.
Matt Wickham
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Wow what a difference. It looks good but this is going to take some time to figure out! Thanks for the hard work you must have done.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I can't help it. It looks sterile to me. Washed-out. Not near as "friendly" as before. But I'll get use to it. I always do.
Mark
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

open web links in a separate window.
XLent!

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Paul M wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:33 pm
Bill Sonnett wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:16 pm ....The typeface seems smaller than before which necessitates me expanding the view in order to read without difficulty.
Chrome OS / Chromebook
– Making text larger
Press 'Ctrl' + 'Shift' + '+' (plus) to decrease the screen resolution, making everything bigger.

Press 'Ctrl' + 'Shift' + '–' (minus) to increase the screen resolution, making everything smaller.

Press 'Ctrl' + 'Shift' + '0' (zero) to return to the default screen resolution.
I already know how to do this Paul--I just think it is really annoying to have to do it each time I visit this page then bring everything back down to size when leaving, as all other sites appear in a readable size text.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.