The newest addition to the collection

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

The newest addition to the collection

Post by Jim Schottenham »

I was thrilled when ORCA President Ron Gast allowed me to add this early side-mount reel to my collection. For years my main focus has been to try and re-create the side-mount reel collection that once belonged to Hoagy B. Carmichael. Cataloged by reel historian Jim Brown for the fall 1999 & spring 2000 Lang's auctions, these were in large part what got me interested in reel collecting - along with advice from my good friend Bill Holbein. Tracking down reels that were part of a collection that was sold more than 20 years ago hasn't been easy, but it sure has been fun. I've been very lucky to have a great network of friends that keep an eye out for reels that fit my collection. I have tracked down a few reels from that famed collection that now have a great home in private collections, so to make up for that I've expanded with a few reels that I think enhance what Hoagy assembled. This reel was on display at the most recent FATC show in Daytona, and with the help of a few friends, I was able to contact Ron and work out a deal to bring it back to New York. This was sold in 1999 as lot 48, described as a "Spider pattern side-mount, circa 1870". Made by a currently unknown reel maker, it sure looks good to me. I took what I thought would be a good shot on a dated 1889 oil on board, but I think it looks better alone on a rod. I posted the other photo too, but I like the first.

Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: The newest addition to the collection

Post by Mike N »

The guys on American Pickers always say that every good find has to eventually make its way to its proper home. Let’s just say that Ron must agree because that great reel belongs in your collection.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990