Abu Garcia Revo Rocket

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Abu Garcia Revo Rocket

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

O.R.C.A. Old Retired Codgers still buying new reels! Isn't that what it's all about?? :D
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Re: Abu Garcia Revo Rocket

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Johnathan - I'd be very interested in your review of the Revo. I've been looking at the Revo and Daiwa Tatula reels, trying to decide which I'd like to buy next. I'm a big Daiwa fan, and the last reel I bought was a Steez, but the Revo has been getting lots of on-line praise. Oh, and of course photos of the big catch would be welcome too - it's been a long winter!
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

i put a light weight practice plug on. First cast had a horrible backlash. After I re adjusted it it was fine. It listed for about 299. Bought it on E-Bay for 234. Free shipping. I've got a Tatula a couple of years old, maybe. I've got an older Abu Garcia Record 5600.Round reel. Very easy to cast. Been so long since I fished, I've forgotten how.
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Jim: Here is a quick pic of the Tatula100HS I've got. Got line on but have probably never fished with it.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Now I'm even more interested in your fishing reel comparison. I've never been a big Abu fan, but I'd like to get your opinion after a day on the water with all three. I'd bet the Revo would be great for rippin' a spinnerbait just under the surface for smallmouth, and the Tatula for making a distance cast to a surface bustin' bass. Maybe Phil can chime in if he's had any experience with any of these too, or any member that's fished with these reels.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Jim: This test would not be certified by underwriters laboratories. I took the 3 reels in question put them all on different casting rods , put 1/2 oz. practice plugs on each and took them out back and made a couple of casts with each one. I am not an expert caster and usually if I can cast without a backlash , I feel successful. The Revo reel out distanced the other two by quite a bit. I'm sure my test wasn't too scientific. If you waited for me to test them fishing it could be a long wait. I guess I* would recommend the new Revo Reel. Happy Fishing, Jon
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Jim, I purchased a Revo when they first came out, but never cared for it. I just couldn't find the proper rod and lure match up to want to keep it, and I traded it off for a new rod. I am a believer in the Daiwa TDZ as the best all around casting reel for my use. They just keep chugging along, while other reels fail. Sand is my downfall on the Snake River and many other reels I've tried just bog down after heavy use. The many ball bearings actually are a collector of fine particles that eventually jam up the level wind worm gear. The Shimano Bantam 1000 with no ball bearings on the level wind is actually the reel that holds up the best for me. But then it is only 4.5:1 gear ratio, and has an old fashioned anti reverse dog system.
If we concentrated on the really important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing tackle

Phil White
ORCA Honorary Life Member
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

I've got two or 3 older Revos. Haven't probably fished with any of them but I do like the newest one for castability. I have many Abu Garcia Reels. Older and newer. Many, even some of the cheaper ones are easy to cast. The size fish I catch when I do fish are probably what Phil would use for bait. I probably have as many newer reels as older ones in my down sized collection.