Generous ORCA Friends

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Generous ORCA Friends

Post by Roger Schulz »

This is the body of an email I sent to about 25 ORCA members who I new well enough to ask for a donation of fishing reels for our Ebay oldreelcollector site. It was suggested to me that I also put this on Reel Talk to reach more folks who collect fishing reels. I did check with President Ron if it was okay. He supported it. The email sent is working as Ron is receiving some donation of reels. My email explains in detail why we are doing this. Please read.

All:

If you looked at the subject line, you know that I am going to be asking you for something. You all have fishing reels and other fishing related stuff. I am sure some of the stuff you would like to just get rid of because the items no longer fit into your collection. Ron Gast and I are working together to use our Ebay site (oldreelcollector) as a money maker for ORCA. All sales from the site go directly to ORCA. We have been doing this for a number of years, but lately not much other than books have come up for sale.

Currently, Ron lists the items and I am in charge of collecting the money and shipping the items. This past week we sold about $250 in reels and an equal amount in books. Ebay auctions do work. You are probably asking why ORCA needs to do this. Your $40 dues do not cover the costs it take to operate our organization. When you factor in all the necessary costs, it comes close to $48 per member based on 600 members. This year we lost almost 100 members. We are down to 603 members. We have always used our book sales, ebay auctions, and silent auction at our convention to make ends meet.

Ebay auctions are an easy way to make money for ORCA. The one thing we need is fishing reels. At the Daytona show this past February I collected close to $4,000 in reels donated by a handful of members (a large share came from one member). These will be part of the Ebay auction during September when we have our Virtual Online Convention. What I am asking from each of you, is to provide ORCA two or three good fishing reels that we could auction on Ebay. You need to just send them to Ron Gast. I can provide you a letter for tax purposes if you request one.

I included you on this email, because I had no problem in asking you for a donation. One of our great members donated this past week $400 in cash and 15 reels worth about $1,010. Think about what you can do. We take cash, reels, lures, metal, catalogs, and anything fishing related. At some point in time, Ron and I will buy you a beer.

Roger Schulz
Sec./Treas.
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Generous ORCA Friends

Post by Roger Schulz »

All

If you will go to the ORCA ebay page- oldreelcollector - you will see a large number of the great reels members have donated to ORCA. This is really helping ORCA and the members are able to get a tax deduction for their donation. Keep sending reels to Ron Gast. We will get them sold.

Roger Schulz
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Anyone interested in donating reels for our ORCA eBay auctions, please contact me.

Thanks,
Ron
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Note the date on Roger’s original email! No virtual Convention this year! We are having the Real Thing in San Diego! Your donations can be made for our EBay sales or for the Silent auction at the convention. Either way, both you and the Club come out winners! Thanks in advance for your contributions, Folks!

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures