What is killing coho salmon? A chemical in tires

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Mike N
Star Board Poster

What is killing coho salmon? A chemical in tires

Post by Mike N »

Per today’s LA Times, scientists have concluded— after decades of searching— what is killing off coho salmon in massive numbers...an obscure chemical found in car tires.

Link

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... e-chemical
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: What is killing coho salmon? A chemical in tires

Post by Paul Roberts »

Wow. Sad. Scary.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

I have found old tires in a few of the trout streams that I fish in NJ. Why the hell would anyone throw an old tire in the stream!!!!!!!! Put it out for the garbage or drop it off for recycling . Another pet peeve that I have is the empty beer cans and bottles left on the bank or in the stream. I like beer and have one every now and then so I am not opposed to beer drinking. However, if you can carry it to the stream when it is full you sure can carry it away when it is empty! I was once stopped by a Game Warden because I was carrying a full plastic bag. He asked to look in the bag and saw a large number of beer bottles and cans that I had picked up policing the area. He thanked me and went on his way. I wish I had a dollar for every beer can and bottle that I have picked up that was left by someone else. If I did, I could afford more reels. LOL
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Channel catfish spawning habitat. A remedy used all over the country for decades.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Old tires were a common sight on docks to protect your boat on approach and while it was tied off and rocking in the wakes. In salt water the tires would develop oysters and become useless. We didn't toss them in because we fished there. They got tossed behind the bulkhead as backfill along with the thousands of oyster shells from our oystering habits. The tires also degraded and left black marks on the side of the boat, which was my job to remove. I noticed how powdery is was and it didn't dissolve.

Litter is quite common on the beach. I aggravates me to see it when there is a trash can every quarter mile for at least 4 miles. People will walk miles on the shore but wont walk 50 or 100 yards to put trash in a can. Spent fireworks are the worst. What washes in is bad enough. Our children will never know what pristine is. I'm not sure that I do.