Cleaning and polishing casting reels

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Unron
Big ORCA Fan

Cleaning and polishing casting reels

Post by Unron »

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has some tried and true methods for cleaning and polishing an old casting reel? Its an old Eppinger reel in reel nice shape but with a little elbow grease I feel it would gleam! Thanks!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Cleaning and polishing casting reels

Post by wrong99 »

I use Never-Dull, but there are endless other products that work well. Lately, I've seen so many reels that are machine-polished. In my opinion, that polishes the value right out of the reel. Others will likely disagree.
Mark
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

I agree with Mark on the machine polished reels. They might look great at 4’ but up close they lose their details. I use Semi Chrome polish and am happy with that. I also use a ultrasonic cleaner to clean up most of the parts.
Bruce
Bruce Harlan
Unron
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Unron »

Thanks for the input!
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Simichrome works great. Can be purchased at any Harley shop. If its good enough for a $25,000 Hog its good enough for your reel! Haven’t found it anywhere else but bet other members can give advice as to sources.
Bad Bob
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

You can get on ebay and amazon... frankly, its double the price at most Harley shops!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures