Langley 'Gear Box'

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Langley 'Gear Box'

Post by Paul Roberts »

Been wrestling with a Langley Lurecast 330. An early purchase, I should have asked more questions of the seller! Then again, I didn’t really know what to ask. As a DIYer, I guess I can expect bumps along the way.

The reel was missing two screws and the spool end cap bearings. I temporarily borrowed screws from a nice 310. Bill Sonnett sent me some spool bearings, and they helped snug the spool up. But they didn't knock out the rattling noise. The gears are sloppy. Teeth look OK —not leaning— although all somewhat rounded; Not sure what they are supposed to look like. The slotted ‘gear’ that engages the end of the levelwind gear is very sloppy. I know it should have some play but it seems excessive. Isolating the gear box from the rest of the reel and spinning the handle, the gears are causing the noise. I think they are simply worn out.

The Langley gear box is my current question: It’s held in via two long rivets. Then there are screws that thread into the rivets on the face side. Take the screws out and the gear box doesn’t budge. It appears to be held fast by the rivets. I guess the screws support the rivets. But apparently the gear box is not designed to be removed to be cleaned or replaced. Is this the case? I don’t want to put too much pressure on the ‘block pillars’ the gear box sits on, and the rivets and screws pass through. Is the Langley gear box replaceable? Or is this another rivet job?
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Langley 'Gear Box'

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Never worked on a casting reel other than an ABU 5000 but from what I see in the pic it would be my guess that the riveted flange is an extension of the spacers. They just hold the spacers to the bracket. I would think the entire bracket should pop off to give access to the gears & back side of the bracket. If I were working on it I would wiggle the bracket back and forth to try to loosen the spacers from the side plate, maybe even thread the screws in part way, block up the face place and lightly tap the screw heads. Maybe that will loosen the spacers from the plate. They're probably just stuck together. Is there a small flange on the face plate where screws go into the spacers? It makes no sense for the gears and back side of the bracket to be inaccessible. You should be able get full access to the back of the bracket to remove or replace the gears.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks, Tom! Took a short piece of oak dowel, and a light hammer, and... it popped off, using the screws partially backed out. Great advice. It was really tight! It didn't make sense to me either that it wouldn't come off. Learning as I go. Thanks, again.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Wow!! Hey, Tom... This little Lurecast purrs!! I was able to clean and lube the gear package completely. I got some gear grease beneath the little gear that engages the levelwind, that I felt may be too sloppy, closed things up and... Voila! I have a nicely functioning Lurecast. Not sure how long it'll hold but at least I know how to right it again when needed. Thanks so much for your help. Paul
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Good for you, Paul!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027