Pflueger 1576 "Leaping Bass" -What am I nuts??

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Pflueger 1576 "Leaping Bass" -What am I nuts??

Post by Paul Roberts »

I sure can be a pig for punishment. I bought a 1576 "Leaping Bass" described as "excellent working order". It wasn't, and needed parts including a levelwind gear. I decided to return it and find another. But the seller apologized and simply gave it to me. Hmmmm... what am I getting myself in to?

So, I found a very bad looking 1576 that had sat around for... who knows how long. But, from the photos, it looked as though the levelwind gear was intact. It was $5 and 4 for shipping.

When it arrived, I couldn't resist finding out just what was left of this old neglected reel. So, I took it down to it's skivvy's and put it back together. And it works! All of it! Ugly, finish gone, pitted, but, it works, is quiet and spins very well! Only thing not working is the anti-reverse due a to a tiny broken spring -an issue with a reel with drag. Oh, and the handle is toast too. But I have both parts in the other reel.

Now... Do I make one good looking reel out of the two? I actually think it's kind of cool that this old funky looking one has been brought back to life. Kind of a shame to have it sit in a parts box. I'm tempted to find yet another parts reel. But, I can see where this will probably wind up. :bricks:

Fresh from... the barn.

Yuck!

Bath time.

It... works!
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Pflueger 1576 "Leaping Bass" -What am I nuts??

Post by RonG »

The reel cleaned up nicely. The reel now needs a replacement handle. Since I doubt you will find a handle by itself, you will have to find a beater reel with a good handle. What you'll find is that you will end up with a bone pile of reels which you scavenged parts off of. The longer you collect reels, the bigger the bone pile gets. The pile becomes your go-to source for parts in the future.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Paul, since you have two reels there, a good-looking one with scalped worm gear, and a functional beater, I would definitely combine the best parts from the two into one good-looking and best-possible-functioning reel.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I agree with Ron, lol. (Both of them!). It’s actually amazing how these old reels can sometimes literally take a beating and look almost as good as they work when a little elbow grease is applied. There’s no shortage of reel rescue stories buried in Reel Talk! Good luck
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

I agree with the Ron's too. :)

Yes, the 'bone pile' is where I'm headed, and still explaining to my wife why I have to run to the mailbox so often lately. I've run out of good explanations now, beyond, this is great fun! And not all that costly, the way I'm going about it -that is, what I'm satisfied with.

Spadej1, I'm amazed too, that of all the reels I've had come in, I've been able to make working reels out of almost every one. The Supreme's have had a reputation for longevity, especially. My 'bone pile' (so far) has a single Meisselbach 581 in it, and is soon to have a 1576, and possibly a SB#50 or S#1973D when that decision is made, this last thanks to Mark (wrong99). I think my wife will be relieved when the ice breaks and I can get out fishing again. That's when the 2nd half of this journey will begin.
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Haha you need to start ice fishing too! Full disclosure, this was the first fish I’ve caught on that Hendryx.

-James-
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

I used to ice fish, back in NY. But, now, I don't need another hobby! :)

Hey, that's a healthy pickeral! I miss them. None here where I live now. I loved creek pickeral on UL spin tackle. On scaled tackle, they are fast!! Classy ice reel there too!
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Voila!! I have a fully functioning 1576 for $10 and... a bunch of hours.

I swapped the levelwind worm gear from the functioning but sorely neglected parts reel (pictured above), only to find that the LW carriage tube was also -very slightly- damaged. There was the slightest gouge on the surface of the tube, causing a sticky spot when the guide block passed that point on the tube.

What a bear to put back these back together! Until I figured out the proper protocol. It's the main shaft "stack" (consisting of free-spool, drag, anti-reverse, and main gear, components) that was such a headache. I finally figured out that the free-spool gear should be disengaged from the main gear, and the face plate/main shaft stack/handle should be completely assembled first, before screwing down the completed face to the frame. But not until I discovered that a previous owner had replaced a drag washer with one that was slightly too thick, leaving too few threads sticking up out of the main shaft post to thread on the drag star, and still function. I eventually noticed one drag washer was a new tech fiber washer, and was the final offending piece. Phew!

I then went on a date with my wife (grocery shopping) and brought the reel along as a fidget spinner, or so she teased. But there was a reason for my obsessive spinning, and that was to smooth out the reel's action, as it was a tad slow and a tad 'hissy' when first assembled. Interesting how a reel needs to be "broken in" after an overhaul. I assume it sets the gear alignment in place, and distributes the lubes. Whatever happens it sure makes an enormous difference as to how smooth and quiet the reel becomes. Very nice action on this reel. Well worth the time, and was fun to boot!

The refurbished reel, the 'bone pile', and the offending parts:
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Winner :cool
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

the Ron's approve.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Two thumbs up here!
-James-
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks, all.

Can't wait to get some 20lb braided nylon on it and take her for a spin. This reel is going beyond the technology periods I find so intriguing. This reel was creeping into the modern era, with FS, drag and AR. However, there is very little travel in the drag so I'm not sure how trustworthy it'll be in use. I simply couldn't resist the leaping bass.