Finding Dropped Parts!

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: Finding Dropped Parts!

Post by Paul Roberts »

Sorry, do you mean the clicker sprocket?
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

yes
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

About the "find it" magnet...It's for the flying dog springs that my eyes will never see without jewelers spectacles. I use a gun cleaning mat with a terry cloth underneath. I'm liking the box w/lid idea though. I would just need to limit the number of boxes containing unfinished projects! My goodness, I would need a project shelf and the cigar boxes would have to be collectible. It's insidious.
Shootrj2003
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shootrj2003 »

I know Mitchell spinners,but last night was a first foray into Penn conventionals(155),I lost the dog spring three times ,the first time was before I knew what it was or even what it looked like I just saw something fall and found the dog the realized there was also a spring!I did not know it was only 1/16” wide and easily missed in a carpet,twice,then launched across the table into “stuff”it is now safely reassembled and I know penn 155 reels! I also own a 109,and 7 Mitchell 300ish reels ,all in use only 2 new ones pflueger Trion ,and a President xt (this years BD gift) I even own a user Bronson Wasp ,I like old reels
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Bill, the sprocket is on solid due to the CA glue I used. I'll try it as is before I try to chip it off.

Ah yes. A magnet could be great for the little springs and C-clips.

Shootr, there are plenty of surprises to be found, even in the mechanically simple ones. Sometimes, it's just the right lube in just the right place. Right now I'm trying to figure out what's up with the FS mechanism on a direct drive, thumb-drag reel. I don't believe I've lost a part but have been making shims to try in a few places; Somehow the mechanism won't clear the pinion entirely. :?:
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Paul, ultrasonic in acetone dissolves CA fairly quickly.
If you don't have access to ultrasonic, soak it in acetone.
Even water will do it, but it takes longer.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Hi, Ron. The CA happens to be holding the metal epoxy that didn't take. lol Will acetone dissolve epoxy? Otherwise, might be able to crush and chip the epoxy with cutters. Or, just find a replacement spool. Right now the CA is holding. But, if/when it gets wet, it won't likely stay.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Acetone will dissolve uncured epoxy, but not any that cross-linked - you'll have to go to methylene chloride for that.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Sometimes you can heat epoxy with a hair dryer or heat gun and it will soften it enough to peel/scrape/cut it off. We do it all the time when replacing cork rod handles and rewrapping guides.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Ok, thanks guys.