Oh no... Warning: Graphic. Midway Tommy, do not look.

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Oh no... Warning: Graphic. Midway Tommy, do not look.

Post by Paul Roberts »

Found this in my reel spool case today. :Bawl: :oops:

:oops: I knew better. Or so I thought.
I now have two spools remaining for this Cardinal 4, both have kite string under PE braid to be used with mono leaders. The above one was spooled with too much mono and forgotten.

I doubt any glues/epoxies would hold. Any suggestions? Epoxy, then three tiny screws?
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Oh no... Warning: Graphic. Midway Tommy, do not look.

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Paul Roberts wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:53 pm Found this in my reel spool case today. :Bawl: :oops:
:oops: I knew better. Or so I thought.
I now have two spools remaining for this Cardinal 4, both have kite string under PE braid to be used with mono leaders. The above one was spooled with too much mono and forgotten.

I doubt any glues/epoxies would hold. Any suggestions? Epoxy, then three tiny screws?
There is no glue that will hold for any length of time. I've got a gaggle of those damn things to put back together someday.

If you have some time on your hands to waste and since you have a drill press you can get yourself some long (correct length) aluminum 8-32 Chicago or binder screws (thin heads) and make a template so that you can accurately install 4-6 of them right around the outside of the spool center post. Install the spring & washer and glue the face to the post to keep it in the correct alignment while drilling the post holes. If I were doing it I would have the post (female end) go through, and end up flush with, the face of the spool with screw down from the top. When you are done you'll have something similar to the pillared spools of yesteryear, which will work just fine. If you don't like that effect you can get a plastic arbor and place it over the posts. That would require less backing.

I don't have a drill press so I haven't dove into my pile yet. I decided about 10 years ago to convert all my Cardinal 3s & 4s to aluminum spools.

You can get aluminum spools from Les Shaw in the UK if you don't feel like spending the time to fix the broken one right now. Shipping is pretty quick.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: Oh no... Warning: Graphic. Midway Tommy, do not look.

Post by Paul Roberts »

Good ideas, Tom. And thanks for the link. This project will have to wait however. At this point, with PE braids now, I only really need one spool. But I've saved the pieces to get creative with some snowy day.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024