Little Cut, Estes Flats, TX 2/20/21

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Little Cut, Estes Flats, TX 2/20/21

Post by Ron Mc »

This plan began 6 weeks ago, Josh and I wanting to plan a February trip for low tides, wading, and fly-rod sightfishing for reds.
I picked the 5 sequential best tides for the month to give us both current and sunny afternoon highs.

At the same time, my buddy Donny in Colorado had been jumping through his computer wanting to kayak the TX coast flats.
A few weeks out, Josh and I made the plan to invite Donny down to Neumie's Copano Bay digs and paddle a long weekend.

The named winter storm that shall remain nameless hit just before our schedule, but that wasn't stopping us. The deep freeze hit the coast just as hard as the hill country, and reports of fish kill looked devastating. Still without water at home, and only recently with power restored, I headed south to meet Donny, who had swept west of the storm, and beat us both down there.
Compared to the second hard snow we got the morning I packed out, Josh's digs sure look inviting.
They had the same water problem, and it would be two days until we got a hot shower, slim pickings in the grocery stores, but we made do

The next morning, wind shifting from NNE to light E, we were launching at Palm Harbor to cross Estes flats.
Note the size of the beach at Palm Harbor

The goal was to get to Little Cut for the late morning incoming tide current.
With a week of beating NW wind, water level on the flats was the lowest either of us had ever seen. My "bright" call, let's head north first to Trout Bayou cut - when we finally ran out of water and had to stand to float our boats, could see Trout Bayou was bone dry. It was a really tough trudge through the mud to float and then drag our boats back to Little Cut. So we should have gone due east straight to Little Cut, but maybe paying our dues this morning paid off.

It was a huge relief when we got enough water to float again, and as we paddled the inside of the cut - right where they should be grazing on the rising tide - we crossed 300 redfish.
Here's Donny hooked up, looking from the cut to the inside pass

Here's Josh at the center shoal facing Aransas bay and far-away San Jose Island.

It would be silly fish catching.

Donny was catching them on Vudu shrimp, which he handed me one and after a slot red, lost it from my paper clip. But the reds didn't care what lure, they wanted the mud balls from bottom-bouncing.

I did just as well on a pink Trout Support on weighted swimbait hook.
Almost all the reds were 18" - think I only caught two out of sixteen under that - I ended up with two slot fish to fillet, and Donny with a 3-fish limit.

A fond farewell to Palm Harbor.

We filleted the reds "on the halfshell" - skin-on fillets for grilling. That night, Josh made us shrimp and grits, and we floated the fillets in ice water overnight, but I wanted to show you Sunday night's meal with massive grilled redfish fillets.
They were amazing, and picking the charred meat from the ribs was the best part.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Little Cut, Estes Flats, TX 2/20/21

Post by john elder »

Thanks, Ron! Great pictorial! Great fun! Great eats! Jealous!! :D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks John - the other two days, the wind beat our butts, but we one had one day of dues paid up fishing, making the trip worthwhile.
We started Donny at the top with this day - he landed 30 reds and took home 6 of those half-shell fillets to grill for his wife.

Of course, the time with friends always makes the trip worthwhile.
When we came back in Saturday, a store run found the shelves and freezer bins all but empty.
Josh McGuyvered shrimp and cheese grits, using frozen shrimp, goat-cheese Gouda, and whipped up a great Cajun sauce.
(paper plates because still no water then)
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Fun read. Now that's the way to ride out any storm.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Tremendous. I love fishing for Reds from the SC beaches. Makes me hungry as hell.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks guys, one dues-all-paid-up day makes up for two beating wind days.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Nice! Couple years ago I had the pleasure of fishing the back Waters of Tampa with Gil Cazone for reds and trout! That night we grilled them blackened with a couple Corona's! They're only second to my baked striped bass! Good eating! Nice!
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks Nick, it was a great trip, a monumental day of fishing, and definitely the best-prepared redfish I've ever eaten.
Josh and his family have cook-offs for entertainment at family gatherings.