Pflueger 1774 drag click fix

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
bushman
Big ORCA Fan

Pflueger 1774 drag click fix

Post by bushman »

Hello,
I am new to classic reels and bought lately Pflueger 1774. The drag click seems not working on the reel. I searched the forum and it looks there were similar problems discussed in the past but in my case, I think the problem is different - there is a gear on the spool that I mean should be still, while I can freely turn the gear around. Could my assumption be correct and what is the best way to fix it? Am attaching a photo of the part am writing about.

Thanks,
David.
jgestar
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Pflueger 1774 drag click fix

Post by jgestar »

Yes, the Pflueger 1774 and close relative the Pflueger 576 can both have this issue. The drag gear spins on the spindle bearing.

Clean and dry the spool gear as best you can. Place a drop of superglue alongside the spool gear so the glue flows between the gear and the spindle bearing (see the red arrow in the photo below). If possible add glue on both sides of the gear. Use a fresh tube of the thinnest superglue you can find so that it will flow into the gap before it hardens. Carefully clean up any mess with acetone on a Q-tip.

Tom

I can say from experience, don't try to tighten the gear by hitting it with a hammer and punch. :oops:
bushman
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Pflueger 1774 drag click fix

Post by bushman »

Thanks a lot Tom! I received the reel couple of days ago and the click was working then. Since it was a bit rusty, I cleaned the inner part of reel and the gear of spool with WD40. I seems that the rust was holding the gear tight :-) I will try to glue it as suggested..

Thanks again, David.