C&R Desk

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

C&R Desk

Post by Paul Roberts »

I had a choice:

-Spanking new thin pressboard with plastic "woodgrained" finish for $199.99, "On Sale!".

-This old (peri-war) oak, leather, and cast-iron number for $70, on "Get it outta here!" sale.

Nobody wants antiques anymore —esp oak— is what I have been hearing for some time now. Many of our antique shops had closed up around here more than a decade before COVID. It's all thrift, pawn, and flea markets for this kind of stuff now. My mom was an antiques dealer, then appraiser, from when we were growing up. I have the aesthetic ingrained. I know beauty when I see it (as unrepentant 'beholder').

So this will be my new C&R (Cleaning & Refurbishing / Catch & Release) work desk. And it'll double for photography purposes. This Mission/A&C style single-pedestal leather-topped desk has (imagine Vanna White —I do) : 4 spacious oak drawers, 4 very smooth cast-iron casters (that I could magnetize to help with some dropped parts!), and a sweet leather-topped pull-out surface (that will likely double as a parts diving board). It's half the size of Midway Tommy's, but that's fitting.

Now, to be honest, I wanted a Wooton. But, I only had $70 to spend. And somehow that good solid Mission oak and cast-iron just resonates with old freshwater bass casting reels; Kindof elevating them somehow. I'll be careful not to spill solvents on it. :beer But if I do, it'll simply add character, rather than… melt the thing beneath me! :)

Score!

ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Re: C&R Desk

Post by reelsmith. »

Beautiful desk ...good lookin' dog too !

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Just love that desk! As a woodworker, I am appalled to see so many great hardwood pieces of quality furniture going for dirt in Thrift stores. You pull out the drawers and see those dovetail joints in the back, where only a quality woodworker would bother! Nice score, Paul!

BTW, you have an unanswered email from me via the board!

john
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Nice desk, Paul! I don't think anyone has told us here in "fly over country" yet that antiques, including oak, are passé. People still love them and continue to pay big bucks for the well made examples like yours. I'd buy that thing in a minute, but I'd sure have trouble working on top of those leather insets. :wink:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Dean, that there is a non-AKC Border Collie. This one came as a pup from a working cattle ranch. Our other one came from a sheep ranch. I'm sold on them after a lifetime of dogs. Brilliant things, although this one, at age 2, is just coming out of the "dunderhead" stage. :) Or so my wife says. When I give that dog the slanty eyes, my wife assures me that this one is just like our other one at age 2. Remains to be seen. A elderly neighbor, who grew up with border collies on a ranch, just shakes his head when he sees her, saying, "Just wait til she's 4 or 5yrs old..."

John, unfortunately, some old oak things seem to hold value. Like the old machinist's tool chests. Someday I see a Gerstner, or akin, sitting on this desk top. But, it'll have to be rummaged from someone who hasn't heard of the internet.
I cannot find an unanswered email. Is it an email or a PM? I checked my profile and email address is OK. Curious. Can you send again?

Tom, I grew up in rural upstate NY, where my mom had her first antique shop. Used to be that wealthy urbanites would come out to the country to find the "good stuff". One of her patrons was the late venerable Barber Conable (former Congressman and Pres. of the World Bank). Eventually much of that "good stuff" ended up in the big urban areas. There was a dealer from Texas -don't remember who she was, my brother and I just knew her as "The Texas Dealer"- who would come and buy out the entire shop! When my mom started running antique shows, "TTD" would come and nearly buy out entire shows. At one time, you never knew what might turn up at any garage sale, anywhere. Now, younger generations seem to have different tastes. Maybe that will turn around. But, the good stuff -the "fine" stuff- is now darn hard to find, or exorbitant. Oak seems to still be around, languishing here and there. I was surprised to find such a nice one though... languishing.

As to the leather top, I'm going to find a work surface I can put down for the dirty work. I won't ruin that piece. It's in mighty nice condition.
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Post by KIWI »

Nothing Wrong with that piece for sure. My whole house is furnished with antiques. Don't want anything modern. The kids do however. My wife and I always went towards the painted furniture, maybe a little earlier than the oak, but We have some. Looks really good with my old rods, Reels and other tackle. D
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

KIWI, Yes! Old tackle does look best with the right backdrop. I've done well, in the past, ebaying some items using appropriate mood-enhancing backdrops.