New Member Brian Tompkins

Post information about yourself and your collecting interests.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

New Member Brian Tompkins

Post by Shellbelly »

I appreciate the opportunity to be here. My name is Brian and I am a surf fisherman. I was raised near Matagorda Tx and spent most of my time there. We had a small cabin at the mouth of the Colorado river where there was close access to West Matagorda bay, beach access, and up the river a ways is the Intracoastal canal. Although we fished almost all of the inshore and both East and West peninsulas, I became addicted to the surf. My Grandfather taught me how to read surf, build tackle and rods, maintain reels, and the basics of most everything else. The rest was up to me...as it is for most of us. God rest his soul, I am so grateful for those first steps from such a quiet and determined Fisherman. At 10 or 11 he handed me a 12' cane with a 285, I burned my thumb on the braid and backlashed the reel as he expected. I learned. I did the similarly with my son and he no longer needs my help with any of it. When we fish together, I watch a fishing machine who can work a spread
and not miss a beat. I'm so glad he caught the bug. I fish and also collect salty old things. I joined to see what's going on, hopefully help some folks, learn stuff, and have fun. Again, my name is Brian and I am a surf fisherman. There is no cure or substitute therapy. I believe, however, that a 130 Sailfisher would help ease some of my afflictions. Nice and shiny. With a box. Fished a little is ok.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: New Member Brian Tompkins

Post by RonG »

Welcome to Reel Talk Brian. This is a good place for ORCA members to learn and teach about reels and anything tackle related. Your posts about the Penn side plate art and the responses was very interesting to me.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Thank you Ron. I'm glad to be here and thankful for how it has started out.
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Brian

With your interest in fishing reel, you need to join ORCA. We put out a great magazine on vintage fishing reels six times a year. You will enjoy it.

Roger Schulz
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey Brian,

You need to join ORCA to receive all of its great benefits.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Welcome, Brian. I hope our non-profit association can help you build a top-notch antique reel and tackle collection. Knowledge is power when it comes to collecting.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Thank you, Gents!

I'm going to get there!