B.C. Milam No. 3 Name Engraved

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
RonG
Super Board Poster

B.C. Milam No. 3 Name Engraved

Post by RonG »

Here's an interesting reel. What always makes these early reels interesting is when you can trace back to who the original owner was based on the engraving on the reel. This one has Daniel Locke's name from Geneva Lake, WI on it and the date is 1879. Using Newspapers.com, you sometimes get lucky and can find the person around the time of the date engraved on it. I think I have a match this time. You can see in the photo the Daniel Locke add from an 1873 newspaper in Geneva Lake, WI.

colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Re: B.C. Milam No. 3 Name Engraved

Post by colby sorrells »

A 142 year old match! You've got to love those old newspapers. His obit ran Sep 3, 1897. Born Sept 10, 1820. Moved to Geneva June 11, 1843. Great find Ron. Keepin' It Fun! Colby
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Great detective work, Ron.

I’ve always loved engraved reels and adding a bit of history really sends them over the top. Plus you’ve got to appreciate a man who promised his “Horse-Shoer has no equal in the county.”

Lake Geneva is now a resort town. It’s located about midway between Milwaukee and Chicago. You could use a nice No. 3 like that on Lake Geneva.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Who, do you think, would have done the engraving? I know that some watch repair guys would mark the inside of cases when they worked on them. You need jewelers glasses to read the etching. What a nice reel and great provenance work.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

😎
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024