Various Mitchell questions

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Fisherman1927
Big ORCA Fan

Various Mitchell questions

Post by Fisherman1927 »

Hi all,

I’ve just wrapped up a thorough take-down, cleaning, degrease and regrease and reassembly of a Mitchell 300 6th variation which I have been fishing with.

I also just bought a pretty rough 300 5th version, no Garcia, chevron AR lever and serial # on case. Lots of damaged paint that someone tried to cover over with what appears to be a grease marker.

I pull it apart today, damaging one front cover screw. The inside was filled with both tan and graphite grease, a really messy and sloppy looking reel interior. My plan with the 5th version is to completely degrease and strip all the paint off of it and use it with no paint. My questions are:

1. What is the best replacement for the damaged front cover screw, does it have to be from another 5th version or will pretty much any 300 or any vintage Mitchell cover plate screw work?

2. What is the best dip (immersion) method of both degreasing the entire disassembled reel, and the best way to get the paint off? I was thinking acetone, but not sure I want to have all that acetone it an open container. Id prefer to use acetone first just to remove the paint.

3. Recommended grease to use during the reassembly?

4. Any chance a good clear lacquer would stick to bare aluminum or should I just buff it up and use it as-is and do the best to keep it clean?

Thanks!

🎣
don309
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Various Mitchell questions

Post by don309 »

Fisherman, I am more into the 204 and 308's. I do have some 300 parts, form multi reel deal. I would think the screws didn't change. If you want to PM me I can send you a couple.
I have a bench grinder with a soft steel brush I use the brush to strip the reel parts, usually takes me about an hour.
I have repainted a few Mitchell's. I have used Dupli-color auto paint, and air brushed with Createx wicked colors (muli-surface) paints.
I remove all paint. Apply a light primer base enough to cover the parts.!!! Paint and let it dry, I usually let it dry 5-6 days to cure. I have also baked paint to dry.
Than add a clear coat I strictly use Max 2K Glamour. It is expensive and only last, I believe 24 hours. So I do multi projects at a time.
Be sure not to paint where paint is not needed. A few places where threads are, where pinon gear seats, center of rotating head.
I should add I don't worry about the engravings on the reel.
I use Purple Power to degrease, witch is just ok. But have a lot of it.
If you PM me we can arrange to show you photos.
Good luck, Don
Retired so I'm out fishing or building a rodI :fished
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The nice thing about repainting Mitchells, for the collector that is, is that it's near impossible to bring the engraving back to original condition. It's pretty easy to tell whether or not they have been repainted.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
don309
Big ORCA Fan

Post by don309 »

I pretty much buy 204 & 308's that need work at a cheap price. The prices on selling sites are outrageous. I just restore them, and if they need pain I paint them. I give young Anglers a reel and rod that I build, that look like they're really interested in fishing. But I have seen some Michelle's restored, that were very hard to tell.
Retired so I'm out fishing or building a rodI :fished
Paul9591
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Paul9591 »

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum (though some may have seen my reel in question elsewhere).

Over a year on from the last posting in this thread, but so pleased was I with my first Mitchell reel restoration, that I wanted to post it here; partly also because of the subject of restoring the engraving (this was my late fathers reel, which (looks wise) had really seen better days, and the reel that eventually got me into collecting them).

The body was Sanded back down to the original orange/red primer, and then re-primed over the bare spots, I then used a fast drying matt finish; cleared out the paint from the engraving using a watchmakers screwdriver set scribe, after it had dried to the touch (the softer un-fully dried paint prevented it from chipping), and then hard lacquered over.
The finish is a high gloss, which is not correct, but I do like it, though I am going to attempt a satin engine paint finish without lacquer, which I'm hoping will make the engraving look a bit less 'messy'

I will add that, I only plan to do this to really scruffy examples.
Edit: I have 'hopefully' inserted my photos below

Last edited by Paul9591 on Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul9591
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Paul9591 »

Sorry, I did upload some photos (twice), but they have yet to appear :?:
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Paul,

Review the image posting instructions in the forum viewtopic.php?t=15596

The key is that you must insert the image tags into your post after you upload the images. To do this, you click on the Regular or Thumbnail URL address. Clicking on the tag inserts the tag into your post.

If you are unsure if it is correct, use the Preview button to view the post, if satisfied, then press the Submit to post.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Paul9591
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Paul9591 »

Thank you kyreels, I'll give it a go
Paul9591
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Paul9591 »

This Mitchell 300 is a 1977 model and it was in a dire condition when it was given to me by a workmate. This one has been etch primed from stripped (keyed with P2000 wet and dry paper), and sprayed in hard wearing satin black, high temp VHT engine paint; unfortunately the photos don't really do it justice.
The finish is more in keeping with a new Mitchell of the era, and is really tough (again, like the originals).
Clearing the paint from the engraving has to be done fairly soon after spraying, because it dries fast and hard.
It still needs some cutting back to a nice sheen, but I will do that at a later date.