Anyone attending the NFLCC national in July?

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Anyone attending the NFLCC national in July?

Post by Mike N »

I was lucky enough to attend the last Ft. Wayne NFLCC national a few years ago, but my work schedule likely won’t let that happen this year. If anyone is attending I would love to know of any vintage tournament line thread spools for sale or old Orvis, TC Chubb, VL&A etc. flies and boxes that are offered. Thanks.

Mike N.

PS perhaps others can post a “wanted” list here, also.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Anyone attending the NFLCC national in July?

Post by kyreels »

I will be attending the NFLCC show this year July 8-10. I will arrive July 6. I understand from the host that there is a sizable ORCA contingent including Ron and Roger and many others, and we will mostly be grouped together. Since I also collect tournament line spools, I will keep a sharp eye out.

I do have lots of reels and lures for sale, since like all of us I have not done much last year. My want list is BF Meek Saltwater Reels (not common at any NFLCC show), early casting practice frogs, and tournament reels. But I have learned to keep an open mind at National Shows, and not be too laser-focused, since new stuff shows up all the time. I collect oil bottles and have not added to that for some time, maybe something there. I also have a CCBCO Husky Musky Collection which I will enter in the Musky Lure competition (I am not likely to win place or show since that category is very competitive and broad and my collection is not mature).

Mostly I am just looking forward to seeing members and spouses and friends I have not seen in a couple of years since this crazy virus started. If you are at the show, please stop me to say hi!
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Arrived today at the NFLCC National show in Ft. Wayne. There are quite a few ORCA members, Bill Sonnett, Henry and Maureen, Vic, and many more. The hotel trading is very active, with excellent tackle and reels. Bought a Langley 310 nib with tournament thumb rest. Missed barely on a Penn Long Beech number 10 in the box with paperwork, mint, just did not pull the trigger fast enough at $250. Went back to the room after passing it, it was gone. You do have to know what you want. I sold $1000 tackle in 2 hours. Just did not buy fast enough.

I will post some photos tomorrow if I can. It is great to be back at a tackle show.
Matt Wickham
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks, Matt. Can’t wait to see the photos. Enjoy the meet.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I slept 12 hours on Sat night, it was a good show. There were a fair number of good reels at the show. Not all were for sale. The Talbot Ben Hur in the box was notable. A Haskell minnow changed hands. The ORCA group managed a good showing and we also had a tournament casting event on Friday right inside the arena floor. There were around 20 members that cast 5 times to get a low accuracy score. Henry Caldwell and Gibby Gibson tied, and then Gibby edged Henry out by 1 pt in a cast-off.

I would say that there is a lot of pent up demand in the fishing tackle community. It was very active with everyone remarking that items were changing hands quite readily (lots of dollars and economic activity). I would say prices are steady, with the good stuff creeping higher.

I managed to pick up the following items:

B.F. Meek and Sons #4 with no serial number on foot, double grasp handle (most were counter-balanced)
B.F. Meek and Sons #2 with Meek Tourney handle, Alum Spool Cork ArborCCBCO Husky Musky 600 Natural Chub stenciled back Improved Lip E, Box G+
CCBCO Husky Musky 604 DLT Golden Shiner in box, G
Edw Vom Hoff Surf Casting Rod, 2 piece wood handle, GS Ferrules, agate guides, split Bamboo, 9 foot, 404 serial number stamped
CCBCO Factory Archives 1800 Wiggler set of samples From Fred Sweeny
2 line spools NIP The Invincible Gladding Silk casting line
Langley Strreamlight 310 with Tourney Thumb Rest in box shopworn
Pflueger Rubber 1/4 oz casting weight with stamped marking of Akron Oh.
South Bend Rubber 3/8 white casting weight with silver label\
World Championship 1976 St Louis ICF casting medal with Amateur Lady Event 1 attachment and Ribbon
Group of 7 ACA National casting medals from 1962 to 1973, ladies event

Books - I like to support authors
The Pflueger Book, 2017, Jeff Windisman and Dale Van De Voort
Deconstucting Old Ads, Vol 3, William T. Sonnett
Jay B. Rhodes, 2019, Cynthia Jeffrey
The Fred Arbogast Company Fishing Lure Collectors Guide 1940-1997, 2018 Kevin Virden

My wife Robin continued her interest in Fishing Floats begun in 2019 at the national. She picked up:
20 early painted Floats in case
group of early painted ice fishing floats from around the floor

The main thing I enjoyed was socializing after a full year plus with other collectors. I met some new people as well, and got acquainted with ORCA members I have not talked to much. A good time was had by all.
Matt Wickham