Pflueger Capitol 1988

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Pflueger Capitol 1988

Post by Paul Roberts »

Picked up a 1988 ("250yd") Capitol listed as "unused". Not many 60+yr old reels could fairly be called "unused". I say 60+ bc the Capitols were apparently made into at least 1960. Here's how it looked "as I found it" when I opened the package. It looks to be true: essentially unused. The reel foot has a single horizontal scuff. The spool has no corrosion or signs it had line on it, at least for very long. The only corrosion are some spots on the lowest pillars, indicating that they likely had some salt spray on them. Otherwise the chrome looks... new! The screws look untouched. The drag feels new. The surface of the plastic handle knob is still shiny new. How could this be? Taken fishing...once, then washed off and put on a shelf in the attic for the ensuing decades?

Unlike the 1985's I have, the foot on this 1988 looks to be machined from a single piece of aluminum; A very sturdy stand. The plates are virtually unscratched. I thought a later model, which I assume this one is, would have side-plates of some kind of plastic. But the "1960+" repair manual lists these parts as Bakelite.

Popping it open, it looks new inside too, essentially dry with a small amount of stiff brown, likely factory, grease. It'll be fun to clean, burnish, and lube it. All I can say is... Wow!

Last edited by Paul Roberts on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Capitol 1988

Post by spadej1 »

That is a nice one!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Capitol 1988

Post by Shellbelly »

Good catch!! Mine is nowhere near that pretty. Some reels are gifts that never get used. It's always nice to explore a new reel.