Kentucky Reel Museum Display - Betty Barr and Don Kleier

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Kentucky Reel Museum Display - Betty Barr and Don Kleier

Post by kyreels »

I was honored to attend the grand reopening of the Frankfort Kentucky Capital City Museum on July 23, 2021 featuring the magnificent Frankfort fishing reel collection of Betty Barr and Don Kleier. This preeminent collection of classic hand made fishing reels made in Frankfort, Kentucky deserves no less than the museum treatment, and this exhibition did not disappoint. It was presented in a new light, juxtaposed with Ky Bourbon exhibits and ancient Ky history exhibits and other relevant contextual events.

For the past 40 years I have been in collecting, I have heard of the intent of collectors to open up a true museum-quality collection of Kentucky hand made fishing reels, but it took the hard and persistent work of ORCA VIP members and officers of Betty Barr and Don Kleier to make it a reality. Not only a reality, but one of the best museum displays that you might imagine. The photos I took cannot do the professionalism and lighting and display technology justice. This is truly a work of art and museum display science. The displays are informative and educational and very accessible and viewable. The exhibit was notable for the innovative use of light and digital display technology. In short, they are entertainment for collectors and the public interested in history and fishing.

You can see in this exhibit the various small but important contribution of ORCA members, including Ron Gast, Bill Hinkebein, Tom Greene, Doug Carpenter, Howard Fortune and even myself saw some items in the collection that were masterfully blended into the historical exhibit. I am sure that Don and Betty will want to acknowledge others. It does take a village to make such a wonderful display.

The connection to Kentucky industry including printing and silversmithing and jewelry and watchmaking and bourbon is not obvious, but comes out in the exhibit. I can only hope that you will attend the ORCA National in 2022 and view this impressive and entertaining display. At the same time, you can tour the Kentucky Reel Maker Trail, as well as the Bourbon Trail. You will no doubt sample both the reel and the bourbons that made Kentucky famous.

To Betty and Don I can only say, congratulations and Bravo, Bravo. You have made ORCA proud and truly honored our ealiest reel makers. Thanks for this enormous contribution to the art.

Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Kentucky Reel Museum Display - Betty Barr and Don Kleier

Post by Stef Duma »

Very nice and impressive.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Thanks for posting the photos Matt. I can't wait to see this wonderful collection and display.
Doug Carpenter
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Doug Carpenter »

What a complete and wonderful presentation of this piece of Kentucky history. It is a must see for any serious reel collector. Betty and Don have labored long over this project. Look out; they have free time on their hands now. What is next?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Spectacular, including even Betty's color-coordinated mask!

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Matt you have outdone yourself with this post. The photos are great. The write-up is first class!
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Wow! Truly awesome. I want to see it! I went through just the first few displays and realized I need time to really go through them. When I clear some time this evening, I'll be taking my time to "walk" through this exhibit.

Matt, thank you for taking the time to take all these images and posting them for us to share in this event.

And, Bravo!!! to Betty and Don for such an impressive exhibit. Thank you for doing this. I can see this having influence on future generations in terms of history, productivity, and angling in general.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thats just a fantastic show, Betty and Don! I can’t wait till next year’s Frankfort Nationals to get a first-hand look and tour!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Dave Erickson
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Dave Erickson »

Wow! Can't wait for ORCA show in Frankfort.
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Post by KIWI »

WOW, Another home run for ORCA. What a wonderful collection. Looks like you guys hit all the bases. Can't wait till next year convention to see it as well. Thanks for posting, Doug
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

This is an exciting development for not only Kentucky reel collectors but for all tackle historians. What a treasure trove of information. Well done!

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Wow! A great display and excellent photos by Matt. Thanks for posting these!
Richard