Shakespeare Silent Tru-Art No. 1835 Model GD

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
OhioFlyGuy
Big ORCA Fan

Shakespeare Silent Tru-Art No. 1835 Model GD

Post by OhioFlyGuy »

I am new to ORCA and am not really sure if this is the right place for this but here goes...

Having searched the text in the subject line above, I found 0 matches. May I assume that the reel mentioned is not collectible/usable enough to garner any interest on this site? They are so common and inexpensive that maybe no one cares or maybe I just don't know how to search the site yet.

I bought one really cheaply but it's in really nice condition; like it was only used a few times. The drive spring seems really strong and it seems to be all there but the brake lever assembly and slide don't release the tension when pressed. The spring at the bottom of the frame assembly seems pretty whimpy so that might be the problem.

Any automatic reel aficionados out there who might give me some pointers and/or links to owners manuals/assembly videos, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Rick
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Silent Tru-Art No. 1835 Model GD

Post by john elder »

Hi, Rick and welcome! Yes, thats pretty much a no… too new and so many out there that they just don’t attract many collectors. The exception would be one found NIB with paperwork, etc, that would appeal to folks that only collect new, boxed reels. They are great reels for the purpose. I used one in the ‘60s to fly fish in the midwest. The spring in those things is a scary bit! Does yours wind and if so, is it stuck in the wound position or does it slip? If the latter, then spring is broken or no longer anchored.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
OhioFlyGuy
Big ORCA Fan

Post by OhioFlyGuy »

John-

Thanks for the reply. It's not NIB nor do I have a box or papers. When I bought it, I didn't intend to "collect" it as much as I had intended on "fishing" it. Pairing it up with a Wonderod that I was gifted while helping a neighbor clean out his garage sounded like a fun thing to do. It winds, stays in the wound position and then unwinds when I turn the ratchet release ring. It just doesn't release when I pull the brake lever. I'll keep working on it. If I never get it figured out, no big deal. It didn't cost much.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thats a great combo to use. It is probably fixable and may just have a piece of line in the works from a leader getting off the spool during retrieve, thus gumming the works. If you go in, make sure the tension is off that spring first! These reels are just handy for getting all that line on the bottom of the boat or on the bank reloaded after stripping in a lunker. I don’t think they were ever intended for catching a fish “on the reel”. It certainly served me well when i was lake fishing in the ‘60s.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures