14/0 Kovalovsky Planetary Gears Video

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

14/0 Kovalovsky Planetary Gears Video

Post by Deepfins791 »

It is common knowledge among Kovalovsky reel collectors that Arthur put planetary gears in his rim control reels. Less known is what they actually looked like and what their purpose was. I learned why Arthur put them in his reels by studying Arthur and Oscar's patents. But not being mechanically wired, even after studying patent drawings and reading descriptions, I still struggled with how they actually worked. And the more I studied and read and stared at drawings, the more my head hurt. So my curiosity got the best of me, and I tore into a 14/0 Zane Grey Rim Control in my collection that needed cleaning, anyway. I wanted to actually SEE them work, and I decided to make a video of the process. The planetary gears are really quite a nifty piece of engineering and machining.

Also, included in the video is another style Kovalovsky brake I found in Lewis Kovalovsky's garage. It might be a prototype, or maybe just a high school project. Below is a link to the YouTube video. Watch in full HD, if possible. Enjoy! John

https://youtu.be/kajPmRtcS-U

P.S. Does anyone need a hand model?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: 14/0 Kovalovsky Planetary Gears Video

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Wow, John! What a great video and superb look at the innards of a Kovalovsky reel! As a spinning reel fanatic, getting to peek at the inside of one of those big boys is a notable experience! Thank You! :bow:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Really interesting, thanks for posting John. I took the time to study the planetary gear system, which I really was not exposed to previously. I don't know of other reels I have encountered that used that. I enjoyed seeing the older brake design also. I assume that it was too hard to control the earlier drag set due to the smaller size and range of motion. The larger size is both more efficient and has larger range of brake. I am curious for the Kovalovsky collectors and machinists how you treat the asbestos material for safety and replacement protocol? Are there rules or guidelines or replacement materials that are safer to handle?
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I am curious for the Kovalovsky collectors and machinists how you treat the asbestos material for safety and replacement protocol? Are there rules or guidelines or replacement materials that are safer to handle?
There were a lot of open face spinners that had/have asbestos drag washers. None of the guys I know that work on them are overly worried about them. Most, including me, just clean them up and put them back to use if they're not too worn. While John's Kovalosky has a fairly good size pad I doubt there would be enough fiber residue to be hazardous.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey John, the video is very interesting and informative.
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

Great video John! Thanks for sharing. Man I love that reel!!!
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Wow. My kid brain went nuts over all that!

Regarding asbestos, it can be sealed but its purpose would probably be rendered useless in a working reel. It is most dangerous when it is "friable" and its fibers are able to float in the air like dust bunnies. Wetting it will help control it while you have to work on the reel. Personally, I would remove it if possible and replace it with a substitute material. Document the original asbestos parts and seal them up to keep with the reel. If they are intended to be friction parts, they would have worn anyway and would have needed replacement. I don't think the value would get dinged too hard if you kept the original parts handy. Lastly, you then wouldn't have any concerns about operating the reel after that stuff is gone.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Wow, really nice presentation. And utterly beautiful reel too. Well done!

Robert Janssen
Sweden
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Just watched your video John very well done !! That is one interesting reel and beautiful as well !! Nice Job ! I have a 15/0 first model two speed Fin-Nor that has planetary gears as well and like you were I am a little afraid of pulling it completely apart. Maybe this winter. Again nice job ! John Taylor 15/0 2 speed below

1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Amazing reel and great video John!
-Chris R.