New Member - Dan Nichols

Post information about yourself and your collecting interests.
DanNichols
Big ORCA Fan

New Member - Dan Nichols

Post by DanNichols »

Hi Everyone
I’m Dan and I live in San Diego, California. My interest in old reels was sparked by some YouTube videos I came across where people were trying out antique equipment (old rods, reels and tackle).

I remembered that decades ago, my Dad had given me three old “knuckle buster” casting reels. Nothing fancy or rare. A Pflueger Akron, a Pflueger Rocket and a Shakespeare Professional. They were all in need of some care, and wondered if I could refurbish them into working order and try fishing with them myself.

I searched for advice on how to, and found the ORCA site. I followed the advice I got from the site and I’m happy to say that they’re cleaned, lubed and ready to go. Along the way, I picked up several more and got lots of advice and even parts help from ORCA members. I’m finding that I really love the simplicity and quality that went into the older reels. It amazes me that something that’s 70+ years old is still working. I’m also interested to get a feel for what fishing was like in my parent’s timeframe.

I’ve also picked up and refurbished a couple of 1940s/1950s era casting rods. I’ve spooled up the reels with period appropriate line. I even found some 1950s casting lures. My best friend just retired and we’re planning a fishing trip later this month. I’m bringing a vintage outfit for each of us. Kind of like “antique gear for antique guys”.

I can already see that collecting these things can be addictive. Glad there’s a site where I can read and learn about them.

Cheers,

Dan
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: New Member - Dan Nichols

Post by Mike N »

Welcome, Dan. Glad to have you as a member of ORCA.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Re: New Member - Dan Nichols

Post by Bill Muth »

Welcome to the group Dan!
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!