dating a Pflueger skilkast #1953

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
ThomasB
Big ORCA Fan

dating a Pflueger skilkast #1953

Post by ThomasB »

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone anyone here can shed some light on the age of a Pflueger Skilkast #1953 baitcasting reel with a plastic spool? I'm a flyfisherman and use vintage/antique equipment. I'm using my grandfather's 1940 Montague Splitswitch bamboo rod with his Pflueger Medalist #1494 reel with a restored 1950's silk level line. I picked up the Skilkast in order to use the casting rod sections of the Splitswitch rod with an era appropriate reel, but I'm thinking it is not 1940's but the 50's, not that it matters all that much but I like knowing exactly what I've got. I also have a Pflueger Medalist #1495 that I use with a Montague Rapidan rod from 1933. Love the old stuff, it's so much nicer looking than the new, especially some of the baitcasters with the etchings/engravings on them. Hope somone can help.
Regards
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: dating a Pflueger skilkast #1953

Post by spadej1 »

I can’t help with a date right now, but you do have the first version of the Skilkast. The round dots on the edge of the face plate mark it as a first version if my memory serves.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I have this in '51 Ward's catalog
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I believe the green handle is a replacement from an Akron model.
ThomasB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ThomasB »

The #1953 in the Wards catalog says it has an aluminum spool. Mine is plastic so maybe it is newer even than 1951?
spadej1, was the first version of the Skilkast made in 1941? Something about 6 screws on the face plate then, but went to 5 after the war? It's funny I didn't really like the green handles that much when I bought it, I guess correct ones wouldn't be too hard to come by. Thanks to all
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The nylon spools on the Skilkast were apparently scarce, according to Lawson. It would likely be post-war, but I don't know the year. It wasn't the first version. Aluminum spools were used up until WWII.
ThomasB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ThomasB »

Great, thank you wrong99.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

I wrote a whole an article on plastic spooled Pfluegers. Akrons. Summits, Silcasts, and Nobbys all appear with plastic spools in 1948. The only two Pflueger ads I have found illustrating the plastic spool were both in 1948. After looking on the bottom of boxed plastic spooled reels (In excess of 50 boxes) all but one were dated 1948. The lone exception was dated Dec 1947.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
ThomasB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ThomasB »

Bill, Thanks so much, good to know. wrong99 thought the handle was from an Akron model, but I've seen alot of #1953's online that have the green handles, I don't think they were exclusive to Akron, maybe I'm wrong. It sure looks nice on my grandfather's 1940 Montague Splitswitch!
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Each of the common Pflueger reels during this period had its own unique color knobs on the handle. The standard Akron had the bright green knobs and as it was by far the most common of these reels, tackle shops had them as replacements, thus you will find them on all the other reels as replacements. The original handle had knobs that were a rich, mottled, bright brown color on all Skilcasts.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
ThomasB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ThomasB »

Interesting! You think it is hard to find original handles for the #1953? I think it would be nice to have those, I prefere those mottled brown handles.
ThomasB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ThomasB »

Here are the images I wanted to upload

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Nice combo.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

plenty of Skilcasts around and plenty of Skilcast handles. I'm pretty sure the rod in the photo is significantly older than your reel.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

ThomasB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ThomasB »

Bill, I believe the rod is 1940. I have a reciept that was in the Pflueger Medalist reel that was my grandfathers, dated April 20, 1940. He bought 1 Rod for $8.00 and a reel for $2.50 and 1 line for $2.00. I'm assuming it was the Medalist 1494, because it's in that box, and the Montague Splitswitch. As I said I'm assuming because he owned a Montague Flash and some baitcasting rods and reels as well. I'm sure the receipt is for the Medalist but not sure about what rod he may have bought that day. It could have been the Flash thinking the Splitswitch would possibly have cost more than$8.00. Thanks for the link to the fishinghistory blog, I will check it out.
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a skilkast handle.
I would like any unusual pflueger casting reels!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

The Skilkast in the OP has the original ‘41-‘42 engraved circle design. Cannot tell if it has the 6th screw as the handle knob is in the way. The handle and spool on the reel are likely replacements.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Look at the 1948 ad as Paul well as the photo of the plastic spooled reels (see link) and you will see the same design that some think is pre-WWII only. It is not. The reel is right except for the handle.
http://fishinghistory.blogspot.com/2012 ... astic.html
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks, Bill. I got the above info from a Bob Miller article in a 2007 Reel News issue. As he understood it at the time, from Trade Caralogs, that the engraving changed from “circles” to “fishes” after the WW2 production hiatus. That may have been the plan, but apparently there is evidence that Pflueger was quite frugal, utilizing parts until they were used up. Likely, this included head and tail plates?

Here’s a plastic spool SkilKast (presumably 1948) with the “fishes”.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

I find them both ways Paul. It's always important to remember that Pflueger could not produce any reels from 1 July 1942 until after the War was over. I'm sure there were plenty of pre-WWII parts that were used once production started back up. The same holds true for other companies, especially Bronson/Coxe. There is no end of mixed period parts on Coxe 25's.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Yes, I’ve read your research and comments on Coxe parts. Dating old reels is far from straightforward.