Interesting “EVH” reel from the convention!

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
john elder
Star Board Poster

Interesting “EVH” reel from the convention!

Post by john elder »

Ron Lewis had this wide body salmon reel that is marked “ Made in England for Edward Vom Hofe & Co., Inc, New York”. At first i thought Hardy gad made it as a version of the Perfect for Vom Hofe, but examination proved otherwise:

I believe it matches perfectly with a Pattern 10B reel made by J W Young. The reel does not show in the ‘20s catalogues I have…. Might it have been produced for them in the teens? I’m betting Ron Mc can shed some light here!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: Interesting “EVH” reel from the convention!

Post by Ron Mc »

No question that is Young pattern 10b.
Young reels were marked for a few US importers, including Richardson of Chicago, Wm Mills & Son, Lyon & Coulson,
FE Thomas (patterns 14a and 15a were sold as Thomas Special reels), Weber, and Many Canadian merchants.

Here's my best pattern 10b, 3" marked for Manwaring of Paris, and still with 90% of its lampblack.

These are very similar, pattern 16a - notice the frame is narrower, and the winding plate is slightly domed.

at work with a Thomas Dirigo - caught this buck beside a half-dozen redds and sent him right back to them
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, Ron… any guess on time frame? By the 1920’s they were just flat out listing other people’s fly reels including Hardy Perfection, St George , and Uniqua reels plus OC … have not seen any “made for” ads.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Young came out with their "pattern" system in 1925, which also corresponds to use of erinoid for handle grasps.
Most "lead finished" reels (arsenic acid bronzing + lampblack) were made in the '20s.
In the 30s, most Young reels were Japanned enamel (black iron-oxide baked slurry).
However, some 30s reels were still leaded - everything sent out from their wholesale catalogs used a menu for the merchant to choose options and finish.

Hard to see above, but my 3-1/8" pattern 16 is Japanned enamel, and my 3-3/8" reel is lead finished.
Easier to see the worn lead finish on the trout photo.
Here's the worn Japanned enamel on the 3-1/8" Allcocks Stockbridge.
and '39 Allcocks catalog listing

Perfect Japanned enamel on a pattern 1c Allcocks Ousel

High-remnant lead finish on pattern 8, though you can see where the top lampblack layer is wearing.
The "lead" btw, refers to the pencil graphite in the lampblack.