Reel or Fishing museums ?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Richieoh
Big ORCA Fan

Reel or Fishing museums ?

Post by Richieoh »

Do you know of any museums or collections that are open to the public ?
Any state any city any basement ?
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

As a matter f fact.......

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Richie,
There are a few, and perhaps the best known in the American Fly Fishing Museum in Manchester VT. The ORCA National for 2006 will feature a trip to the museum, which by the way is right next to the Orvis flagship store. ORCA members will be swarming the collection of the museum for research, study and general "ooh-ing and ahh-ing" of some of the great reels they have. The trip is planned for the 17th of May, 2006. To get an idea of what the museum has, take a look at Jim Brown's book, "A Treasury of Reels". Another fishing museum is located in the Catskill mountains, at the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum: http://www.cffcm.org/
Sure hope to see you at the ORCA National event to held in Lake George, NY, May 17th to the 20th.
Jim Schottenham
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Several Others

Post by Teal »

The Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, WI has a large collection of fishing items, mounted fish, outboard motors, rods, reels, and lures. The lure displays (as of about two years ago) were in a terrible state of disrepair, having not been updated since they were first put up a long time ago, but just seeing the giant musky is worth a trip.

Karl White's collection is now housed in a museum in Oklahoma, I believe it is the Oklahoma state aquarium in Tulsa? Haven't seen it but I'm sure it has a lot of tackle.

I think the Int'l Game Fishing Association also has a museum in Florida, but I have never been there.

In Dowagiac, MI the Heddon Museum is a must see, a terrific collection of Heddon materials run by the very kind Joan and Don Lyons (ORCA members). They are very knowledgable and very helpful.

I think there is a display in South Bend, IN of South Bend fishing tackle as well, I can't remember the details but I think it had something to do with the Studebaker museum?

The Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago recreated in one of their displays a Fishing store from the South Pacific, circa 1960, complete with fishing tackle.

Tom Greene who has a huge collection of reels, runs a tackle shop in Lighthouse Point FLorida called Custom Rod & Reel, I think he occasionally displays his impressive collection at this store.

Bass Pro Shops flagship store in Springfield, MO had a huge display (Clyde Harbin's collection) for many years. They may have busted it up to stock other BPS stores with tackle displays.

Dan Basore tours with his collection, and occasionally puts it on display at tackle shows and festivals.

There used to be a neat tackle museum in Osseo WI run by Arlan Carter but it closed a few years back.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Dr. Todd
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

A Basement in Lansing . .

Post by Len Sawisch »

There is a hodge-podge museum of mostly reels in a Lansing Michigan basement with one of the most extensive South Bend 1131 collections and a growing Marhoff collection with most known examples, and bunches of other stuff. Viewings are free to ORCA members by appointment, but the curator will talk your leg off!

Len
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Richieoh
Big ORCA Fan

displays

Post by Richieoh »

Thanks Fellas, those poor people out west must not be aware of the Reel world.
Len, admission 3 brews ?

museums

Post by guest »

the international game fish has a wonderful museum in florida. why when i list my user name it says already taken when it`s me reeldealer44?
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

Guest is right. I live within 15 minutes of the IGFA and they have a very good collection. Mostly dealing in saltwater. Ed Prichard put it together so that should tell you something.
H
By he way, If anyone goes, give me a call and stop by. I have a few Shakespeare's to play with.
Stefan Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stefan Duma »

I did visit the IGFA two weeks ago during my trip to Florida it certainly is an impressive building.
el Lawrence
Advanced Board Poster

Charming looking one here....

Post by el Lawrence »

This one in Ireland looks charming... I would love to visit it.

The Irish Fly Fishing and Game Shooting Museum in Attanagh, County Laois, Ireland.

(maybe we could put a list of these on the website here as resource...) :idea:
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Alabama

Post by Teal »

Hi y'all,

Ran into this on Joe's board and saw on page 2 of the article that Kerry Chatham is displaying some of his collection in a museum in Alabama.

$500,000 lure? Those lure collectors are crazy. That would buy an awful lot of Shakespeare reels, right Harvey?

Cheers,

Dr. Todd

http://www.al.com/outdoors/huntsvilleti ... xml&coll=1