Finally a 1st year Sailfisher!

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Finally a 1st year Sailfisher!

Post by Shellbelly »

After scouring the country for a few months, pestering every reel shop I could find and shamelessly begging, I was able to achieve most of my goal for this reel. I still need to find a decent and correct box. This is a model of the '52-'53 production year for the 130. It has the 3-piece spool, coin edge lever, "D-shaped" openings in the harness lugs, and the handle side plate is molded without external drag access. There are assumptions that the 1st year production did not include external drag but there is no definitive proof of this yet. It's fitted with the large 24-49 handle which is also used on the 49 and 149 Deep Sea and Mariner. Smaller sized handles were available if you wanted to request them and I have seen a few with the shorter handles. I prefer the 49 handle since it compliments the scale of the reel much better in my opinion.

I have had conversations with several fishermen who enjoyed the performance of this model and every one of those guys who gave up their Sailfishers regretted doing so. The scarcity of the proprietary parts forced most to shelve the reel or move them along. I can certainly attest to the difficulty of locating good clean parts.

Very happy to have this model tucked in with the rest of the gals on the shelf.

Thanks again to Mike and many others across the country who advised me quite well.

Yep, that's a sizable stingray barb under the reel. Would ruin your day for sure. Remember to shuffle your feet, Boys and Girls.

Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: Finally a 1st year Sailfisher!

Post by Paul Roberts »

Very nice! Congrats! I know you’d been working on this one for some time. Nice collection there too.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Thank you, Paul. From wanting to getting has been almost a year. One of the greatest rewards is the contacts made during this quest for a fishing reel. I just got off the phone with a guy in Conroe, TX who remembered I was (AM STILL) looking for parts. When some know you aren't "in the business" and you're seriously trying to achieve a goal in your collection, they seem to respect that and keep you in mind. I've sent photos and a word of thanks to those who provided parts and each one has appreciated seeing the results.

Yes, the children are piling up. Senators are hungry for square footage and space management is getting tricky.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Very sharp-looking reel. Congratulations.
I told Paul once that getting started is too easy, and after awhile space for what you really want becomes the coveted item.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Amen to that! actually we just moved into a new home and things are still in piles and heaps. So many of my spinning and whirling things are still in boxes. I dug this project out(along with other things) and was determined to finish it after receiving the final parts. Now my little makeshift bookshelf is beyond capacity.

Apparently I am supposed to be making shelves for tea pots or some such ilk instead of playing with those "stupid reels". Bliss.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

solving the teapot dilemma can only improve your life...
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Oh, you are so right.