Kingfisher line spools (John Etchieson tribute)

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Kingfisher line spools (John Etchieson tribute)

Post by Mike N »

As I’ve posted here before, I collect Kingfisher wooden line spools, especially the tiny “thread” spools. I have several red wooden spools, and was finally lucky enough today to acquire two very early black 2” wide spools with original continuously connected link, plus the box (it originally came in a set of 4 spools.) NFLCC member John Etchieson of Texas has been a great mentor and friend in helping build my collection and ORCA member Dean Smith of Connecticut has also been a valued resource.

Here is the rest of the Kingfisher collection which I’ve previously posted:
Last edited by Mike N on Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Kingfisher line spools

Post by Shellbelly »

Outstanding art. Do you know the name of the artist or the source of the art work?
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Shellbelly wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:36 pm Outstanding art. Do you know the name of the artist or the source of the art work?
John Etchieson wrote a short article in May, 2020, on Fin & Flame where he noted:

“Between 1890 and 1905 the E J Martin Company Kingfisher brand was granted a registered trade mark by the U S Patent Office for each of three slightly different variations to the artwork that was used on their first Kingfisher brand fishing line labels.”

The name of the artist may appear on one of the trade mark applications.

Here is a link to an interesting 2015 Sporting Classics article on the company:

http://a-drifting-cowboy.blogspot.com/2 ... lines.html

The article has some great artwork, including this page from the 1920 Bristol Steel Rods Catalog:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I sent line historian John Etchieson of Texas the question about the artist and wanted to share his response and preserve the information for future researchers:

“…the very first black & white Kingfisher bird logo from 1890 (like on your earliest unpainted thread spool) was created by the nature artist and engraver F. C. Ormsby of Syracuse, New York.

I have never learned who the artist was that did the colored Kingfisher logo that appeared 20 years later in 1910… While I cannot prove it, I have come to believe it was created by the same unknown artist that produced the famous and rare retail dealer window display poster titled "BANNER GIRL" which shows the very first bird image in color (with the 1910 introductory year green borders around the bird logo before it was changed to the red border and /or no border like on your most recent spools).

Hope this information helps you answer questions others may have about the identity of the artist, John”

The way John shares his years of research with other collectors has always amazed me.

Here is the black and white “Ormsby” Kingfisher shown in a 1911 magazine ad (from Dr. Todd’s site):

Here is the unpainted drawing 3 years later in 1914 on a Kingfisher spool I picked up on eBay:

Last edited by Mike N on Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Nice collection Mike.

John E. is the man when it comes to spools ...and he's a really great guy !

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

The drifting cowboy link did not credit the creator of the Kingfisher Line and Lure mashup, which is from the mind of artist and collector Arlan Carter. If memory serves, he had three different picture series of that style, which was taking the art from tackle ads and imposing the actual tackle in a shadow box including the logo on the mat. This was the only Kingfisher one. I think there were around 30 to 50 of each in a limited series. He sold them at an NFLCC National in the mid 1990s, and they were very popular. When you think about the difficulty of acquiring a fairly large number of artifacts of the same type and the genius of putting all that together, it is pretty amazing.

It seems that Mike Nogay and I share many common interests, even though I have steered away from Bamboo rods and Orvis antiques. I do love the Kingfisher lines (and tournament lines and Mermaid lines) and only have the Arlan Carter picture and one nice boxed line in my tournament line collection. It has a gold painted spool, and has a tournament caster provenance, having been located in a box from a caster.

Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

The Carter work is very imaginative and breathtaking. This thread has added another mission for me. Surely the original artist did other work and is credited somewhere. The lithographer is as good a starting place as any.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Kingfisher line spools (John Etchieson has passeD)

Post by Mike N »

I was deeply saddened to read on Joe’s Old Lures that the foremost expert on vintage fishing line, and my mentor, John Etchieson of Texas, has passed. John unselfishly shared so much information with me that I am forever in his debt. I hope to piece together many of his emails into an article to honor his memory.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Kingfisher line spools (John Etchieson tribute)

Post by Mike N »

I saw on Joe’s saw that (incredibly) one year has gone by since John Etchieson’s passing. He was by all accounts the foremost historian of vintage fishing line, and I thought I would bump this post in his memory.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Second the bump. I dont think we will ever see a better collection of line spools.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I received this Butera Pipe Company “Kingfisher” pipe tobacco tin today after an inquiry on Pipe Magazine’s forum page. It makes a nice addition to the collection. The guy who sent it to me refused to accept any money for it. Butera was located in the British Isles.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

My same thoughts about the quality of the art work. Another thing struck me as well: I did an oil painting of a Kingfisher on a bas relief sculpture I carved in basswood many years ago-with a near same pose, perched on a similar limb. May take a pic of it and post-if I can figure the newer system!! That logo is the the first I recall seeing. Beautiful collection Mike!

Bad Bob
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks, Bob. I’m sure we would all love to see the artwork. I hope you post a photo. You can email it to me and I’ll post it for you. Just click on my name and message me I’ll send you my email.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

I saw a post on another site and I thought the message was worth sharing. Those of us who knew John E were well aware he was an avid Texas Rangers' fan. I can only imagine his heavenly smile now that his Rangers are World Series Champions!!
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Robert A. Miller (RAM) sent me this photo of his Kingfisher painting and I gladly share his talent here:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990