“Smilin’ Bill” Jamison silk casting line

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Mike N
Star Board Poster

“Smilin’ Bill” Jamison silk casting line

Post by Mike N »

I like to collect the thread spools of silk casting line that went on the early bait casting reels. In 1904 W.J. Jamison started his lure company, famous for the Coaxer lure, in Chicago. It also sold line, complete with a label photo of “Smilin’ Bill.” Here are two types of Jamison “thread” spools and some early 1921 and 1922 magazine ads along with a page from the Jamison catalog circa. 1920. Hard to believe these are 100 years old now.

[Note the price differences for the No.5 12# test line…from 75 cents, to $1, to $1.50]

Photo credits and thanks to John Etchieson and Dean Smith.

Circa. 1920 Jamison catalog offering found on oldfishinglure.com:

And a 1921 ad in Field & Stream followed by a 1922 ad in Outers’ Recreation magazine.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: “Smilin’ Bill” Jamison silk casting line

Post by kyreels »

Nice pickups. I have found a lot of Jamison fishing lures and tackle over the years, never had a spool.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: “Smilin’ Bill” Jamison silk casting line

Post by Mike N »

With his permission, I’m adding here Jim Dorr’s (NFLCC-IL) comments and photos posted on Joe’s.

“Jamison introduced its Special Bait casting Line in 1913 utilizing the red label Jamison Special Silk casting line label you see in the catalog page and photo in Mike's thread and on the right in the below picture of the boxed Jamison line spools in my collection.

In about 1924, the label was changed to the label with the picture of "Smiling Bill." That continued until about 1934 when the flat line spool was introduced and sold til WWII (see photo). An interesting variation is the "Hard Braided Silk Casting Line" promoted in the below pictured glued insert in the 1914-15 catalog. I am unaware of any examples. Great thread Mike. Jamison had a lot of interesting products in addition to the Coaxers!”

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990