Yesteryear's hydroxychloroquine

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Steve
Star Board Poster

Yesteryear's hydroxychloroquine

Post by Steve »

There's a "cure" for every pandemic. This ad from Elmer J. Sellers, inventor of the Sellers fly reel, appeared in the Kutztown Patriot, Nov. 28, 1918. The same issue carried the obituary for Sellers' son, who died of influenza.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Yesteryear's hydroxychloroquine

Post by Shellbelly »

Wonder what the "etc." ingredient is. Reminds me of the Josey Wales scene with Chief Lone Waddy and the Carpetbagger.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Given the information provided the concoction must not have worked quite as well as hydroxy. :)
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Sounds to me that it did, Tommy :( … so sorry for the fellow.. what a loss to bear.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

a careful reading of this backside of a tin of Dr Cannon's salve will quickly show that all later medical research was unnecessary. This magical medicine was hiding in the bottom of an old tackle box I purchased years ago.
upload pic
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Amazing. My Grandfather kept a bottle of mercurochrome in his boat box. The stuff burned like fire on a cut. We were always getting wounded by hardheads and gafftop. There was also BC Powder, a tin of Bayer and one of those red rubber, round tube snake bite kits. All of that was in there with shear pins, the Rusty Pliers, and a whistle.