New Member - Retropeche

Post information about yourself and your collecting interests.
Retropeche
Frequent Board Poster

New Member - Retropeche

Post by Retropeche »

After a few years lurking and benefitting from the wealth of information on this site I have now joined.

I am a Brit now retired and living in France and have collected vintage fishing tackle for many years. I still have a Mitchell 300 and ABU 506 that I bought in the 1970's with money earned on a paper round and Saturday job. Following the UK's departure from the EU and the customs difficulties of importing from the UK I have developed an interest in some of the smaller or less known French reel makers.

One of the stipulations for buying a vintage rod or reel is that I have to be able to use it. I don't own a glass cabinet :wink:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: New Member - Retropeche

Post by john elder »

Welcome Retropeche(if that really IS you name :D ). Feel free to come show us any of your new finds.. show-and-tell is more than welcome, along with questions and answers! And wait till you accumulate a few more reels and try to keep the dust off and still visible… you’ll have that glass case before long :D

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Retropeche
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Retropeche »

The disadvantage with a glass case is that the wife would be able to see what is inside it. The walk in cupboard that I use to store my gear has two wooden doors that keeps dust out, and hides a multitude of sins. :wink:
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

My friend Mick kept everything his wife didn't want to see in the pool house.
He had 100 graphite fly rods before he turned to cane.
Fly tying, he spent $1500 the first day, and has more fly boxes he'll never open again than rod tubes he'll never open again.