Handle length of Mitchell reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Phil M.
Big ORCA Fan

Handle length of Mitchell reel

Post by Phil M. »

Does anyone know the proper handle length of a double-red-band Mitchell 300A? Is the length the same as the original 300's with a short bar, or longer like on the 400 and 410 series? Pictures I've seen look like it is the shorter length which would be different than other 300A reels. Thank you.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: Handle length of Mitchell reel

Post by Ron Mc »

The torpedo-grip long handle from the 400 series reels was offered as a factory aftermarket part early on.
I sheared the pin on my short paddle-grip 300 handle, and bought the long replacement handle at Gibson's.
A search for google images all show the short paddle grip on 300A.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Ron Mc wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:57 am A search for google images all show the short paddle grip on 300A.
That's what the 300A I have has.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Phil M.
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Phil M. »

Ok, I take that to mean this double red band reel should have a 300-style finger grip and a short handle.
piscesman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by piscesman »

If you are referring to Garcia Mitchell double red band, then the handle is "paddle" type, but the counterbalance has a skinnier elongated "nut" on end. This is different to the more triangular "nut" the reels had for years.
Kim :fished
I collect Mitchell reels & Garcia products. Always looking for more.....
jr.evansii
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jr.evansii »

I can't remember, did the double red band 300A ever have the plastic lock nut on the handle? I know that my single red band 300A does.

J.
piscesman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by piscesman »

According to Dennis Roberts Value Guide the end "knob" is metal. Assuming aluminum. It appears the knob was changed from metal on the GM version and to plastic on the Mitchell only version. But there seems to be a variation on the 1980/81 sliver band. The knob appears to be blackened aluminum but on the 1982 red band plastic. Hard to tell from the picture. GM double red bad handles rounded on the shaft that screws into the reel. Silver band has the fish logo. 1980/81 Mitchell only has round circles imprinted on the end. In 1984 the plastic knob is more the shape of a cylinder. Hope this helps..............
Kim :fished
I collect Mitchell reels & Garcia products. Always looking for more.....
Phil M.
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Phil M. »

Very interesting comments. This reel also has the smaller diameter line roller like the 400/410 series. Never saw any 300A reel with that type of roller, they all had the larger diameter, but this is the only double-red I have. This reel came with the 400/410 style torpedo handle with the fish sticker on the knuckle and the straight-nut-metal (not triangular) counterbalance that Ron Mc referred to as an aftermarket offering. That's what prompted me to inquire about its originality. Thanks to all for their comments.