Anyone ever bought a reel at Blanchards, or, life after Lang’s …

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Anyone ever bought a reel at Blanchards, or, life after Lang’s …

Post by Mike N »

Blanchards will apparently be taking over for Lang’s per the recent announcement. They have an auction upcoming in February. Anyone ever consign or buy a reel through Blanchards?

Last edited by Mike N on Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Anyone ever bought a reel at Blanchards?

Post by wrong99 »

Nope, never flew out to the East coast to go to an auction.
bamboocollector11
Frequent Board Poster

Post by bamboocollector11 »

Yes in person at a Discovery a auction.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

The old style in-person auctions Bob Lang held were epic. The Ganung’s took a chance and brought the auction house into the digital era. The most recent auction showed the incredible growth and depth of the vintage tackle market.

I can’t imagine that if Blanchards (which is mentioned in the press release) doesn’t pick up where Lang’s left off that some other entrepreneur won’t do the math and step in to fill the space, sooner than later.

There’s still a lot of very valuable vintage tackle yet to be bought and sold. This may just be a new beginning for the tackle market.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

In the past, Blanchards has been more of a Sportman's Auction with the tackle offerings being more discovery-like. I don't see it as the venue for high grade tackle.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Me, either. I feel the same about the Angling Marketplace Auctions, if those will even continue.
Mark
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Morphy Auctions in Denver, PA may see an opening here.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Angling Marketplace is consigning more and more non-angling items (coins, bobbleheads, Dale Earnhardt knives, etc.) and I wish they would restrict consignments to angling oriented only.
JMO.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Eric J wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:16 pm Angling Marketplace is consigning more and more non-angling items (coins, bobbleheads, Dale Earnhardt knives, etc.) and I wish they would restrict consignments to angling oriented only.
JMO.
Amen.
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

wrong99 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:16 am
Eric J wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:16 pm Angling Marketplace is consigning more and more non-angling items (coins, bobbleheads, Dale Earnhardt knives, etc.) and I wish they would restrict consignments to angling oriented only.
JMO.
Amen.
Double Amen, so much non angling stuff to wade through.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

I'm adding a few nice reels in Angling Auction's January sale and see how it goes. I've been very happy with the lures I've sold there. Right now, it's the best game in town. I'm through with eBay selling.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

RonG wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:18 am I'm adding a few nice reels in Angling Auction's January sale and see how it goes. I've been very happy with the lures I've sold there. Right now, it's the best game in town. I'm through with eBay selling.
Care to elaborate on reasoning?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

It's too expensive to sell on eBay. Angling Auctions does not charge the sellers.
jr.evansii
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jr.evansii »

Ron,

Respectfully, your right, eBay charges the seller a fee (12-14% give or take?) Angling Marketplace charges the fee to the buyer, 21%.

If I'm bidding on an item anywhere, I bid based on the total that I am willing to pay for that item to arrive at my door. If i know that I will have to pay a 21% fee, I will take that into account. I.e. If I set a value of $100 dollars for an item, and I know that I must pay a 21% purchase fee, I won't bid over $80. You get $80 out of the deal for the item and shipping. On eBay, I would bid the full $100 for the item, and after seller fees, you would receive $85 - $88 for the item and shipping.

It seems to me that It's just a matter of who pays the fees.

J.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Agreed… i have used Angling Artifacts a couple times now… guess who ended up paying that VIG? Hint: it wasn’t the buyers.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Jr. and I think, and bid, alike. I always take into consideration the buyer premium and shipping/handling costs. The payment facilitator $600 1099 requirement is going to throw a wrench or obstacle into the equation, too. If a seller opts not to accept PayPal or similar payment method I won't be bidding or buying. I've made it my policy to pay exclusively with PayPal for the last 15 years and I don't plan on changing any time soon. :roll:

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The $600 threshold for a 1099 won't affect people who have all along declared sales as income on their taxes. Of course, we know that not everyone does.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Intuit/TurboTax published this fact sheet for eBay sellers in November:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/se ... /L7h6uJr0i
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

RonG wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:13 pm It's too expensive to sell on eBay. Angling Auctions does not charge the sellers.
Ron makes a good point. It would help if Angling Marketplace published how many active bidders it has, kind of like newspaper circulation for advertising rates. The concern would be that Angling Marketplace does not reach even a small percentage of potential buyers as are on eBay and since AM only allows a $10 minimum bid reserve, a good item without a buyer audience could cause it to be given away.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Mike N wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:33 pm RoIt would help if Angling Marketplace published how many active bidders it has, kind of like newspaper circulation for advertising rates. The concern would be that Angling Marketplace does not reach even a small percentage of potential buyers as are on eBay and since AM only allows a $10 minimum bid reserve, a good item without a buyer audience could cause it to be given away.
My guess is their announcements go to all NFLCC and ORCA members, at an absolute minimum. I've sold items to guys on the Classic Rod Forum as well as well as guys I know who don't belong to any clubs, so word is out. It'll never be as big an audience as FleaBay, but it has a more targeted audience.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Anyone ever bought a reel at Blanchards, or, life after Lang’s …

Post by Mike N »

You may be right, Dean. After all, I seem to recall the initial announcement for the new site was “Announcing The Angling Marketplace Powered by Lang’s…” Wonder if that included the Lang’s (e)mailing list?
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Mike N wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:30 pm Wonder if that included the Lang’s (e)mailing list?
That's what I've heard and what it appears, but cannot confirm.

Dean.

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I would think that mailing list would be worth quite a bit.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I think they got some from Joe's. They send me notifications & that's the only place I use that one.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Respectfully, your right, eBay charges the seller a fee (12-14% give or take?) Angling Marketplace charges the fee to the buyer, 21%
I agree with J, the net total transaction price including shipping has to be understood by both the buyer and the seller. It is foolish to think that one side or the other has an advantage that is hidden. The winner will be the marketplace that balances the interests of both buyer and seller. eBay did that for a while, Langs was transparent, it remains to be seen who will emerge as the leader here in quality vintage tackle sales. I agree with others that say the market is yet to speak.

Angler's Marketplace has the issues mentioned by all posters. They are certainly not in the lead here, although it is not clear what constraints they operate under or what agreements may compromise their marketing. They definitely need to change to be predominant.

The marketplace is open now to decide on a leader that buyers and sellers trust. Remember Oliver's auction, it was trusted for some time and then violated that trust. Lang's stepped in and held our trust for some time, and credit to the Ganungs for using technology to reach the market they did. Blanchards is not a slam dunk and Morphys is not, lets see who steps up their game to balance interests in the market. One thing is certain, technology and trust and balance is important. No one is leading in all of that in my opinion.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle