Some of my work

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
lmsracing7
Big ORCA Fan

Some of my work

Post by lmsracing7 »

Here are some of the reels I have restored. I collect mainly Pflueger summit but I have just discovered that Bronson made some engraved reels. I don't really have any method to my madness I just restore what i like. Please enjoy.
lmsracing7
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Some of my work

Post by lmsracing7 »

This is more work than its honestly worth... This blog is a fail for ease of use...
lmsracing7
Big ORCA Fan

Post by lmsracing7 »

I have no idea. I give up. I have built networks, designed computers since the 90's and somehow cannot post a pic to this group... lol
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

It's about as simple as can be if you follow these instructions. Just make sure your pictures are not too large. :)
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

The key failure is that users overlook clicking on the full or thumbnail size url after uploading. This will place the image into your message. Doesn't work quite like other software people may assume but it's been working for users for many years here. As Tommy points out, follow instructions carefully.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

One more tip, use the Preview prior to posting to ensure your pictures are displaying as you intended.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Also, you have to be in the "Full Editor & Preview" mode using the clickable button below the "Subject" block to add photos.
lmsracing7
Big ORCA Fan

Post by lmsracing7 »

Four different tips on how simple it is to post here... Everyone has a different step.... ridiculous
lmsracing7
Big ORCA Fan

Post by lmsracing7 »

Why in the world in 2022 we cant just post pics to our our posts? Its time to upgrade our page....
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

lmsracing7 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:57 pm Why in the world in 2022 we cant just post pics to our our posts? Its time to upgrade our page....
Our system works just fine if the photos are sized correctly & one follows those simple instructions. Photos are posted pretty much every day. I'm computer inept and have never had an issue posting photos. :?
Last edited by Midway Tommy D on Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I think it's working pretty well.

There used to be helpful video so im looking for it but here in written form:

Image Posting Instructions: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15596

In short, you have to upload the images and insert the image link into your posting, usually by just clicking the link while you are editing the post. It is easy if you are new to forget to click the image link to insert it.

Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I will admit the instructions are “simple to follow”. This is not exactly the same as simple. Resizing an image, browsing and uploading, and inserting into a post are all simple steps on their own but become complicated when strung together. Sometimes its easy to forget when we’ve done it so many times. I will also mention that ORCA’s board is much more generous with image sizing than a number of others, and host their own images. That is well worth the extra effort in my book.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I am working on an automatic resizer. However, you still have to insert the image tag in your post. I hear from many that is the problem they have. It seems to me that all of the mobile specialized apps have made everyone used to just automatically inserting an image by just selecting, no matter what the size.

I do constantly think of how to do an auto insert of tag. We are always improving, lets see what we can get done this year.
Matt Wickham
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Yes you are and we appreciate all of your effort! P.S. Inserting the tag was what got me the first time!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Matt,
I sure hope you keep the ability to insert photos into the text wherever a person wants them. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing multiple photos placed at the bottom of a post. That concept especially sucks when trying to do or decipher tutorials and similar explanations/demonstrations.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

Midway Tommy D wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:21 pm Matt,
I sure hope you keep the ability to insert photos into the text wherever a person wants them. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing multiple photos placed at the bottom of a post. That concept especially sucks when trying to do or decipher tutorials and similar explanations/demonstrations.
I believe that's just a cut/paste job in the editor that the op should use.
Once your photos are inserted, you can place them where ever you want within the text.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

klonder wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:26 pm
Midway Tommy D wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:21 pm Matt,
I believe that's just a cut/paste job in the editor that the op should use.
Once your photos are inserted, you can place them where ever you want within the text.
Actually it's an "upload" and then "insert" a thumbnail or full size photo, whichever you choose, but some sites don't give you the option to place them where you want, or to use thumbnails. We need to make sure keep those options.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Yes, nothing I do will prevent you from moving around the image tags or changing them from thumbnails to full size. The good thing about this board is you can edit your posts and preview them before posting. There is a pretty interesting reference here https://www.phpbb.com/community/help/bbcode, but our board uses some custom image tags. I am still working on perfecting the whole image upload and attachment app. It takes time and energy.

It seems the root issue is that the more people get used to downloaded phone apps and iPad apps, the more they expect a web-based application to function the same. There is a mobile app for phpbb, but I dont yet recommend it on here because of the image processing. As a historical site that can be used for ref in the future, the biggest issue we have is that of broken and obsolete images. The current mobile apps dont fix much of that at all. They actually may make it worse.

Your continued feedback and improvement suggestions are welcome, but if you quit in anger and frustration, I can't help much. Hundreds of users are actively posting here and I do acknowledge it is not as easy as it could be. But things will always get better over time.
Matt Wickham
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Geez, it almost sounds as if no one could post pics on Reel Talk until this thread, even though, as Brian indicated above,these clear instructions have been here for almost eight years. My only complaint is the overuse of full-size images, which is the fault of the posters, not the coding. Brian's post includes lots of thumbnails, so you don't have to scroll for half a day to reach the subsequent post. Does every image have to be posted full-size? Even the deservedly-abhorred Facebook posts small pics that can be magnified with a click.

And what's even worse is the inclusion of all those giant pics in quotes of posts, so those piles of huge pictures are repeated in a thread. Can't folks just quote the relevant words, instead of entire posts?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I almost always use full size photos for single photo posts. Wasn't aware that it was a major issue, but I suppose it would be on a phone.
Matt Wickham
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

And what's even worse is the inclusion of all those giant pics in quotes of posts, so those piles of huge pictures are repeated in a thread. Can't folks just quote the relevant words, instead of entire posts?
Don't "quote".
Just highlite the text you want, copy, then paste in your post. Copy, paste....like above.
edit: just realized not a matter of how to but a matter of responsible use. Sorry!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

full size photos for single photo post
Sure, for one or two, but not when there are a bunch of pics. There's no need.
Don't "quote".
Just highlite the text you want, copy, then paste in your post.
Just copy text you want and paste it between the quote and /quote code. But stop selecting the photos, too.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Steve is right on. A full size photo or two in a post isn't the end of the world but multiple full sizers make the post go on for seemingly ever. All it takes is one click on a thumbnail to enlarge it. A click on the enlarged thumbnail enlarges it even more if it was sized appropriately. Sometimes I think people have forgotten about the thumbnail double enlargement capability.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
jr.evansii
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jr.evansii »

Looks like 14 or 15 posts since the OP last made a comment, and still no pictures of his work to look at.

J.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Reel Talk encourages you to post images on our board. It is easy and they never go away and dont have ads. Many historical images have disappeared from the board which makes it less valuable. I have no issue with posting sales lists on external images, but really would like everyone to use our Reel Talk image storage. Please.
Matt Wickham